Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Two-story cage question?

Floatingzoo

Cavy Gazer
I'm planning on getting two guinea pigs in October and am preparing for them right now! I'm super excited about it. I had the idea of turning a large dresser into a two story guinea pig house. All together they would have over nine and a half square feet of space, but I'm not sure if because it's two stories it won't be enough? I'm planning on guinea pig proofing my bedroom, so they'd be able to run free in my room whenever I am in there.

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Repurposed furniture just doesn't provide enough room for piggies. They need wide, flat space to run and exercise, and even though you can add a loft to an existing C and C cage, the extra levels don't count towards the square footage they need.

Floatingzoo

Cavy Gazer
Repurposed furniture just doesn't provide enough room for piggies. They need wide, flat space to run and exercise, and even though you can add a loft to an existing C and C cage, the extra levels don't count towards the square footage they need.

Thank you so much for the reply. How much flat space in the minimum?

Floatingzoo

Cavy Gazer
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages
Here's alovely size chart. They also need at least 12 inches of vertical space to be able to run and popcorn without bumping their heads.
Do also note there is a difference in cage sizes for female pairs and male pairs. Males need more space.

Thank you so much for the link! I asked my brother about it and he is going to build a custom two story house for them that will be over the minimum requirement! The bottom floor will also be touching the floor, so I will be able to open it up and they can run out of their house into my room!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.