Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

Re: Punkin's medical thread

Keep us posted, fingers crossed for you guys!

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

So here we are.

Punkin is home resting. He did not require a full dental. His molars had grown into points, not trapping his tongue but stabbing it. Thats why he slid downward so fast.

He got SubQ fluids, and several syringes of Critical Care. He's come home, grumbled at and mounted his brother and munched some hay. He's pretty stoned, but all in all in good shape.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear Punkin is home...he has a whole army cheering him on here! ❤️

4. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    He's come home, grumbled at and mounted his brother and munched some hay. He's pretty stoned, but all in all in good shape.
    Great news.......sounds as though he's going to be fine! Fortunately, you are so proactive that he should recover quickly. When I had a boy who required lots of Critical Care and a sow who didn't, I would put them side-by-side and feed him three mouthfuls to her one-half. Otherwise she would be overwrought with jealousy. You may have to do that for Scooter.

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

What a scare, but I'm so relieved to hear that he's doing okay! Just as I'm sure you're relieved to not have to wait an agonizing eight days for surgery. :) Wishing all of you the best!

7. "Thank you, LittleSqueakers, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Great news.......sounds as though he's going to be fine! Fortunately, you are so proactive that he should recover quickly. When I had a boy who required lots of Critical Care and a sow who didn't, I would put them side-by-side and feed him three mouthfuls to her one-half. Otherwise she would be overwrought with jealousy. You may have to do that for Scooter.
    Scooter is already making it known that he goes bananas for Critical Care! His vet said it wont hurt him short term, so it's ok if he has some as long as Punkin gets the majority. Hes actually been running some laps chasing his brother around, dove into the hay pile several times and found his cozy, where he promptly burrowed all the way to the back and flopped. I'm sure the anesthetic is making him woozy, as hes doing all of this with wide, terrified looking eyes but his attitude seems anything but. He tried to eat some.of his evening salad but everytime he did, he ate some but kept making faces and making odd gestures with his mouth. All to be expected. Hes going to get a full syringe of critical care in about an hour, and hes had his metacam.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    544 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Oh yay! So happy to hear!

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Weight is actually up 10 grams from yesterday. I KNOW that's not significant, but it IS up instead of down. Hes not eating much at all on his own still. I think hes been munching some hay, but was unable to eat his pepper slice this morning despite being cut into strips. He had a full 15ml syringe of CC last night and another this morning. HATES being force fed lol.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I am so glad to hear Punkin is home and on the mend. That reminds me that I need to replenish my GP first aid kit with critical care and some new syringes.

12. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Morning update:

Punkin is still in great spirits, but really does not like being force fed. The "burrito" method of feeding helps tremendously.

He's not eating on his own yet, or if he is it's very little. Despite multiple feeding of Critical Care, he has still managed to lose 42 grams in 24 hours again. This morning he was at 1418, and this rate of weight loss is beginning to be concerning. I managed to get 22 grams of Critical Care into him at this mornings feeding.

He shows great interest in food, especially his favourites. We tried a baby carrot last night, shaved into strips. As was his morning pepper slice, yet he would pick them up and flip them over, and repeat. Almost as if he was trying to find the right angle to eat from. He tried some parsley last night and got some, but it was difficult. He IS on metacam for pain relief, And I'm just at a bit of a loss as to why he's still unable to eat on his own.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Keep pushing the Critical Care and take a dose of patience. I generally fed Chester 30gms at each feeding. If he's reluctant to take it, mix it with pedialyte or a little organic no-sugar-added baby food. Beechnut makes a line with yummy cavy flavors.

Cavies don't always respond the same to dental procedures. This is Punkin's first one and he may not respond as Sly did. Keep in mind that a cavy's mouth is VERY small and it is possible that his mouth was nicked in some way during the procedure and that it is still quite sore.

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

All valid points, @spy9doc. I do know all of that, and perhaps I'm just a bit more upset about this than I realized and I'm forgetting things.

I've stepped up his feedings to every 4 hours. And I've just been told that he ate most of a baby carrot on his own a few hours ago, so theres some progress. I feel so bad for him especially because hes still so young.

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Morning update:

His weight has stabilized with a feeding schedule of a full 12CC syringe every 4 hours. He was 1418 grams both yesterday, and this morning. Still interested in his food and treats but unable to do much more than just turn them over and reposition them. Heartbreaking to watch and very frustrating. I know he wants to eat, and he's very enthusiastic when its treat or salad time. He just can't seem to do it. This morning, he seemed to have a slightly dark streak running from one nostril. It just wiped away. Anyone have this experience before?

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I don't have any kind of expierance with this, but I just wondered ( if you're not already doing it ) if it would help to chop the veggies or greens in little tiny tiny bite sized pieces? It's possible some foods might sting his sore mouth, too--- I know bell pepper or orange juice will sting a cut on my own hand. Hopefully once his mouth heals it won't hurt to chew and stuff for him soon ❤️

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    I don't have any kind of expierance with this, but I just wondered ( if you're not already doing it ) if it would help to chop the veggies or greens in little tiny tiny bite sized pieces? It's possible some foods might sting his sore mouth, too--- I know bell pepper or orange juice will sting a cut on my own hand. Hopefully once his mouth heals it won't hurt to chew and stuff for him soon ❤️
    It's possible the peppers might irritate him. I've tried cutting them into chunks, and also into strips. Same thing, he just picks them up and turns them over and over. He did eat some carrot yesterday but it took him awhile.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Actually, it may be easier for him to eat matchstick-sized slivers than tiny pieces. If you post them into his mouth back to his molars, he may be able to manage them.

20. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I knew you probably had, just wanted to put it out there. It's great he ate the carrot--- I hope he's back to himself soon!!!

22. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Ok. I'm not sure 100 percent, but I believe his nose is dripping. It may have come fro. His mouth but I saw a clear droplet fall from his snout.

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

He may have had a runny nose from diving in his hay, I'm not sure. His nose is dry now, and he's playing with his brother, and playing in his hay. Saw him washing his face a few minutes ago which he hasn't done all week, and he actually popcorned once too.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    544 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

Great to hear! Sounds like he's on the mend!

26. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List