Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition How much vitamin c is too much? And any effects?

Merley

Cavy Slave
Hello, my guinea pig was staying with my grandma and she forgot what I told her to feed him, so she fed him a few of the vitamin c supplements every day. He is only supposed to get one a day. This happened for three days. My guinea pig doesn’t seem sick, but is a little les talkative.

Please help me I don’t want my pig to hurt.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that does not build up in the body. Excess is just excreted in the urine. Chances are there was no ill effect to your guinea pig.

Merley

Cavy Slave
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that does not build up in the body. Excess is just excreted in the urine. Chances are there was no ill effect to your guinea pig.

Thank you very much! I was very worried because I wasn’t sure

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Technically, if they are fed highly excessive amounts of vitamin C for a long period, their bodies will kind of become adapted to it, and then they can suffer from scurvy symptoms when they come back down to a normal vitamin C dosage. However, I don't think a few days of excess vitamin C is going to be anywhere near long enough to cause that problem.

AnitaJohnson

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need an average of 10 to 30 milligrams of vitamin C each day. If they are pregnant or sick, they likely need even more of the nutrient. Because they cannot synthesize vitamin C on their own, it takes a lot of food and supplements with the nutrient to provide for a guinea pig’s needs. Vitamin C deficiencies in guinea pigs can lead to serious health issues, including death if left untreated. When they develop scurvy due to a lack of vitamin C, their body is unable to produce collagen properly. There are a variety of ways to provide your cavy with the vitamin C they need to remain healthy. In addition to vitamin C tablets, you can provide the nutrient in their everyday diet. Give them the following foods to balance their vitamin C levels:

- Parsley
- Red bell peppers
- Kale
- Carrots
- Broccoli
- Strawberries
- Cauliflower
- Snap peas

If you need more details check out my post about Guinea Pigs Vitamin C.

If you have any other question ask me back here.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need an average of 10 to 30 milligrams of vitamin C each day. If they are pregnant or sick, they likely need even more of the nutrient. Because they cannot synthesize vitamin C on their own, it takes a lot of food and supplements with the nutrient to provide for a guinea pig’s needs. Vitamin C deficiencies in guinea pigs can lead to serious health issues, including death if left untreated. When they develop scurvy due to a lack of vitamin C, their body is unable to produce collagen properly. There are a variety of ways to provide your cavy with the vitamin C they need to remain healthy. In addition to vitamin C tablets, you can provide the nutrient in their everyday diet. Give them the following foods to balance their vitamin C levels:

- Parsley
- Red bell peppers
- Kale
- Carrots
- Broccoli
- Strawberries
- Cauliflower
- Snap peas

If you need more details check out my post about Guinea Pigs Vitamin C.

If you have any other question ask me back here.

I 100% agree with what you said about vitamin c and it's importance for guinea pigs! But there are things to be aware of on the vitamin c food list that aren't so great:

* Parsley and Kale are very high in calcium
* Broccoli and Cauliflower are very gassy and should never be fed often
* Carrots are high in sugar and vitamin A
* Red bell peppers and strawberries are very high in sugar

The best veggies to feed piggies for their daily amount of vitamin c is green and yellow bell pepper! Both are low in sugar, extremely high in vitamin c, and piggies can have them everyday--- and yellow bell peppers contain the most vitamin c of all bell peppers.

Vitamin c supplements are fine and sometimes needed as long as they are NEVER added to their water. Guinea pigs will not drink it and this can cause serious issues.

You can still give them the foods on your list to help out with vitamin c, but most should only be as treats. I only mean this respectfully; I just want to make sure these things are known because it's very important for piggies to stay healthy and happy!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
As far as bell peppers go, my girl wasn't eating any color. Finally she's eating red which only happens if I put small chunks in front of the hut she sleeps in at bedtime. By am it's gone. The other colors are a no. So I'd rather her eat bell pepper than vit c drops or vit c tablets.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
As far as bell peppers go, my girl wasn't eating any color. Finally she's eating red which only happens if I put small chunks in front of the hut she sleeps in at bedtime. By am it's gone. The other colors are a no. So I'd rather her eat bell pepper than vit c drops or vit c tablets.

I totally agree!!!

Clavilux

Cavy Slave
If fed in excess amount can cause them effects.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.