Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

What vaccuum do you use?

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I didn't find anything else that would fit. In short, while caring for our pigs we end up generating a lot of...debris. What vaccuum do you all recommend? I've seen a lot of "pet vaccuums" by Dyson but my main issue is all the loose hay on the floor. They tend to wrap around the rotating brushes and jam them up. I have a shop vac that I use in my garage but I feel like that's a bit overkill.

Any ideas here appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,171 Rec'd/5,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3742 Post(s)

Re: What vaccuum do you use?

If you use the search box at the upper right, you'll find a ton of posts about vacuums, and @spy9doc has some good ones.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,519 Rec'd/1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    If you use the search box at the upper right, you'll find a ton of posts about vacuums, and @spy9doc has some good ones.

I suspect that you can find my recommendations in the archives of the posts. Let me know if you can't find anything and I'll repost. At the moment I'm rushing out and don't have time to answer in detail. Be happy to do so tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)

I have an Oreck that I use on my carpeting and it will pick up the smaller pieces of hay. I also have a Dyson V7 Hand Held Vacuum that I use to pick up the larger pieces of hay from around their cage. I'll handpick the largest pieces of hay and dispose of them and then I go over the area with the Dyson. The Dyson works very well. The hay doesn't wrap around the brushes and it's very easy to just open the canister and dump the contents.

I use the Dyson every day and it works so well to clean up the hay both from around the sides of the cage and any hay that has fallen onto the floor. I have it mounted on the wall right next to their cage. It runs quite a while without needing a charge.

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    209 Post(s)

I've gone through a few vacuums over the years and my absolute favourite has been a Shark Lift Away Navigator Professional. It's light, has great suction and my favourite aspect is it's so easy to clean and unclog all the hoses and components of they happen to become blocked.

I will admit, I haven't purchased a Dyson because I'm afraid about murdering it with the hay!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,519 Rec'd/1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    I've gone through a few vacuums over the years and my absolute favourite has been a Shark Lift Away Navigator Professional.
    I agree that this is a great lightweight vac for general use. I think we've owned two of them.

However, if you want a portable hand-held vac, here's the link to a post I made recently about my favorite B&D vacuum. It's not inexpensive, but in my experience, it is well worth the cost. The little brush on the end works great in the cage to vacuum fleece, but flip the brush under and it then picks up hay easily off the carpet.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...6amp%3B+DEcker

User Tag List