Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

ThatMamaDawn

Cavy Slave
My name is Dawn and I just got a guinea yesterday. I’ve always wanted once since I was a kid and finally got my husband to cave. I don’t really have any pics of her yet because she’s been hiding since we got her. Which makes me kinda nervous. Is this normal? She has no name yet cuz I can’t decide.

I can’t wait to learn about them and see her personality.
4481538eba7649cf4ac44b73e08f446c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Welcome to you and your piggy!! She has very pretty markings.
That she's hiding is completely normal. She's just scared from all the changes and needs time to settle in. It might help to lay a cloth over the roof of one side of her cage--- their instincts warn them open spaces mean swooping hawks! ;) You can put some hay and veggies close to her hidey house to encourage her too. Piggies love yellow bell pepper, and it's packed with vitamin c which is very important for them!
bpatters link has everything you need to know. One other site that helped me a lot with my first piggy is www.guineapigmanual.com. It's very readable, fun, and full of info---It even has an expansive guinea pig name list to help you out there!

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Welcome! This forum has a wealth of information. Pinned post are a really good starting point for information.

Hiding and being very shy is perfectly normal. I dubbed our recently adopted boy with the nick name 'shy potato' because he spent his first several days with us hiding and hunkered down. In time she will learn the rhythm of your household and be more social.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.