Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello!

My name is Dawn and I just got a guinea yesterday. Iíve always wanted once since I was a kid and finally got my husband to cave. I donít really have any pics of her yet because sheís been hiding since we got her. Which makes me kinda nervous. Is this normal? She has no name yet cuz I canít decide.

I canít wait to learn about them and see her personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,171 Rec'd/5,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Re: Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

If that's a pet store cage, it's very likely too small. She needs at least 7.5 square feet of flat surface to run around, and she needs a buddy. But please don't buy one -- there are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Welcome to you and your piggy!! She has very pretty markings.
    That she's hiding is completely normal. She's just scared from all the changes and needs time to settle in. It might help to lay a cloth over the roof of one side of her cage--- their instincts warn them open spaces mean swooping hawks! You can put some hay and veggies close to her hidey house to encourage her too. Piggies love yellow bell pepper, and it's packed with vitamin c which is very important for them!
    bpatters link has everything you need to know. One other site that helped me a lot with my first piggy is www.guineapigmanual.com. It's very readable, fun, and full of info---It even has an expansive guinea pig name list to help you out there!

4. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Welcome! This forum has a wealth of information. Pinned post are a really good starting point for information.

Hiding and being very shy is perfectly normal. I dubbed our recently adopted boy with the nick name 'shy potato' because he spent his first several days with us hiding and hunkered down. In time she will learn the rhythm of your household and be more social.

User Tag List