Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Need advice on bonding two boars

pudgypig

Cavy Gazer
Back in May we bought two male Guinea pigs; both were alone in their enclosures and we had learned that guinea pigs are social animals, so about a week after buying the first one, an Abyssinian, we bought a shorthair from a different location. After reading guides on bonding online, we attempted to bond them together using the outlined procedure and knowing the higher difficulty of bonding two unrelated boars over other pairings. Things were more or less going well, at the time the Abyssinian was smaller than the shorthair and they did the standard mounting routine. At one point however the shorthair mounted the Abyssinian's face and I believe this must have distressed the Abby, I can't remember well but I think this is what prompted us to separate them and end the session (which in hindsight was probably a mistake).

After that I'm not sure how much time elapsed before we put them back together to attempt bonding them again, but I recall that unlike the first session they began fighting each other. This is where my concern comes in. The fighting has been relatively benign, and I assume this is because the boars seem to like each other; we have them in a partitioned cage at the moment and they'll interact with each other by rumblestrutting and popcorning near the partition, never chattering their teeth unless they actually come face-to-face outside of the cage, and no attempts at harming the other while in the cage. The worst point the fighting has reached is the shorthair nipped a bit of the Abby's fur off during their fighting, which made me worried that they'd escalate and do worse so we stopped them. Since that session, we'd just conceded to letting them be separated by the partition and didn't attempt any more bonding sessions out of fear of one of them seriously hurting the other one. But I think it would be beneficial for them to work it out and be able to live in the same space, I just can't gauge how they feel about each other...

So my question is how I should go about these two. Do I attempt letting them bond again, with the proper procedures, and if they start fighting just let them fight it out? The Abyssinian has grown significantly since we bought them, so it's become sort of a toss-up between who's going to dominate who. They don't seem to dislike each other, like I said they interact positively (based on the popcorning) through the cage partition, but become agitated when we hold them near each other (I assume this is because they want to fight). My biggest concern is that they will draw blood, which I would be worried about the severity of and how to go about handling it, and which I worry would ruin their seemingly good rapport with each other.

Thank you for any advice on the matter. :love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, you're not going to bond them. You're going to introduce them, and whether they bond as best buddies, bond only the extent they tolerate other, or don't bond at all is totally up to them. You can help the process by the way you go about it and by their living conditions, but that's about it.

Second, you don't do bonding "sessions." Guinea pigs in any size group of two or more are wired to establish dominance, and when you repeatedly put them together and separate them again, you force them to start from square one every time. Your goal should be a "once and done" event. It sometimes takes another try or two, but it's better for that not to happen. Don't put them on the floor together, don't hold them near each other, just keep them separated until you're ready for another introduction

If you have them housed side by side, you may (or not) help the process along by swapping articles between the two cages so they're used to each other's scent. Some people swear this works, others haven't notice a difference. But it won't hurt.

Third, two males need a LOT of space. The minimum recommended size is 10.5 square feet, and more is definitely better. If you're trying to put them in a smaller cage, then leave them separated until you can arrange a cage that will accommodate them.

Fourth, there's no way to know which one will be dominant. You'll just have to put them together and let them work it out. Have a towel handy to throw over them if they really go at it, but you may not need it. And I wouldn't worry about spoiling any "rapport" -- it doesn't sound to me like they've got any since they're not living together.

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. Do it at a time when you've got HOURS to give to it, if necessary. When you clean the cage you're going to put them into, clean EVERYTHING in it, including wiping down the wires. Take out all hideys and replace them with fleece forests or fleece draped across the corners of the cage. Position the forests so they break up the line of sight in the cage and they're not always visible to each other. Ignore any chasing, mounting, rumblestrutting, or nipping -- only intervene if they turn into rolling, biting balls of fur. Just don't stick your hand in to separate them or you'll get bitten.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

pudgypig

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much for your advice. I will do my best to follow it and see how it goes. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.