Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals JellyBean - 8 wk female not cleaning her bottom/genitals?

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
I’m not sure if this is anything I should be concerned about but my new 8 wk old female seems to not be cleaning around her bottom very well. All of my other pigs are/were impeccably clean so I was surprised to see that this lil ones bottom looks stained with what looks like urine.

If its helpful, she lives in a C&C, lined with UHaul blankets that are topped with fleece. She’s a wee tiny thing, but seems very active and energetic. She’s eating very well, drinking, and I’ve seen her poo and pee regularly.

Is this something to be to be concerned about? Or me just being a nervous baby-pig mama? I adopted all my other pigs as adults so I’m not very experienced with babies.

The photo keeps loading sideways and I’m on a mobile and can’t get it to go upright. But this is a photo showing the (what I assume is) urine stains on her bottom.

1774841A-041B-4F94-99BD-25621B57FCA9.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nervous baby-pig mama.

She may improve as she gets older, or she may just be one of those pigs that will always show urine stains in white fur.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Nervous baby-pig mama. She may improve as she gets older, or she may just be one of those pigs that will always show urine stains in white fur.

Yup, nervous baby-pig mama. Your other two girls don't have white fur in that area, so how do you know that they have better hygiene? Give JellyBean a break......she's a baby and needs some time to model behavior after the two older girls. And, I honestly have rarely seen a cavy clean its genital area, unlike a cat might do.

As wonderful as fleece may be, it doesn't allow the urine and poop to disappear into the litter. So, if a cavy urinates in an area and doesn't move away rapidly, some urine is bound to soak her bum before it can be wicked away. Almost all of my cavies have had white fur and whether it is in the genital area or around the mouth, that area will be perpetually stained. My Chester somehow almost always had a green mouth from veggies or pink from watermelon, and Sparky has a perpetually stained butt. The boy is gifted.....he regularly shoots out four or more poops at a time! He is a very tidy boy and will frequently clean up after himself, but that doesn't include cleaning his bum.

When he begins to get too dirty or too odoriferous, we just give him a butt & belly bath and dry him well.......and all is good again.

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
All true. Thanks for the reassurances - I’ll leave her to it and give her some time.

And now that I think back, I do recall having to give Ruby a little extra washing on her bottom and belly sometimes. She was also a white Abyssinian (almost identical to JellyBean). You could tell on any given day what veggies she ate because she wore the stains all over her face haha.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.