Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How often to wash fleece?

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I am going to use fleece over wood pellets for a new C&C cage and have read the threads concerning proper preparation of the fleece, daily sweep/vac, ect...

One point I could not find and have probably simply overlooked is how often to wash the fleece. My specific situation is a single boar (at the moment), 2x3 single level C&C (again at the moment). I know this may vary, but I would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wash it when it looks/smells dirty. How often you do it will depend on whether you've got pee pads that the pig uses, or a separate kitchen that catches most of the output, or if your pig has soft poops that get smeared.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have a female in a 2x3 cage with washable incontinence bed pads covered by fleece. In the corners I have small fleece pads. I have a hay pan that is actually a large rabbit-size litter pan with paper bedding in the bottom and hay on top. I wash the small pads and clean the hay pan (or eat-in bathroom as I like to call it) daily and wash the rest every 3 days. Sometimes the bed pads aren’t even damp since she goes mostly in the hay pan and corners.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
I have two boars in a 2 x 5 cage. I was changing their fleece once a week, but the fleece was getting dirty too quickly, so now I change it/wash it every 3-4 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.