Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

How often to wash fleece?

I am going to use fleece over wood pellets for a new C&C cage and have read the threads concerning proper preparation of the fleece, daily sweep/vac, ect...

One point I could not find and have probably simply overlooked is how often to wash the fleece. My specific situation is a single boar (at the moment), 2x3 single level C&C (again at the moment). I know this may vary, but I would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Re: How often to wash fleece?

Wash it when it looks/smells dirty. How often you do it will depend on whether you've got pee pads that the pig uses, or a separate kitchen that catches most of the output, or if your pig has soft poops that get smeared.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I have a female in a 2x3 cage with washable incontinence bed pads covered by fleece. In the corners I have small fleece pads. I have a hay pan that is actually a large rabbit-size litter pan with paper bedding in the bottom and hay on top. I wash the small pads and clean the hay pan (or eat-in bathroom as I like to call it) daily and wash the rest every 3 days. Sometimes the bed pads aren’t even damp since she goes mostly in the hay pan and corners.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have two boars in a 2 x 5 cage. I was changing their fleece once a week, but the fleece was getting dirty too quickly, so now I change it/wash it every 3-4 days.

User Tag List