Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Howdy from NC

My husband and I both adopted a baby about a month ago. They are in a temporary cage at the moment. I got mine, Pinto Bean, about 2 weeks after my husband. Midnight (my hubby's baby) does the wiggle butt dance, sniffs and aggravates Pinto. Midnight tends to boss Pinto, so I'm in the process of making a 2 tier cage to fit the space that is allowed. They will each have a level of their own to sleep in. During the day, they'll be in a playpen by my work station. (my computer desk) Everything will be complete this weekend.

I work at home, so I talk to them all day and place my hand in the cage and they'll just scurry about and sniff my hand, etc.. they are most active IN THE NIGHT. . They are getting used to me and I feel accomplished a little more each day. It's great motivation.

I do have 4 other animals in the house, so I will not be able to let the babies run the house when time comes.

I'm a bit paranoid about cleanliness with animals. You can't tell I have animals until you see them.

I pretty much clean everything daily. Is this too much cleaning? It seems they are getting used to me in their cage all the time and seem to mind less and less. I can imagine it could only help, but I'm just making sure!

I treat my animals like my children since my own children are grown and on their own. Can you spoil a guinea pig?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midnight.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	86211 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PintoBean.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	86212
    Midnight Pinto Bean

I'm sorry for the long drawn out post!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,171 Rec'd/5,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3742 Post(s)

Re: Howdy from NC

Have you turned them over and compared their private parts to make sure they're both the same sex?

I wouldn't separate them unless there's bloodshed or one is aggravated to the point that it's losing weight. Dominance struggles are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, although you do need at least 12-13 square feet for males.

Guinea pigs are herd animals, and they do much better with a cagemate. If you've got two males, you'll just have to grit your teeth and make it through puberty, but what you've described is no reason to separate.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)

Re: Howdy from NC

Welcome to the forum. You've chosen cute names for your piggies. I'm the same way as you are about cleanliness. I feel that good husbandry helps to contribute to healthier pigs and longevity. Like you, I clean my pigs' cage every day by constant sweeping and changing out the fleece liners. Every third day I do a complete cage cleaning. I have three Piggie Bedspreads that I rotate, when I take the old one out I then wipe out the cage with a mixture of vinegar and water then I put in a new Bedspread. I know many would say that my cleaning routine is overkill but I just feel that it's healthier for my pigs and keeps my home smelling fresher.

I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. There are so many knowledgable people here who are willing to help with any questions or problems that you may have. I hope you enjoy many years of happiness with Midnight and Pinto Bean.

User Tag List