Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Howdy from NC

Acez09

Cavy Gazer
My husband and I both adopted a baby about a month ago. They are in a temporary cage at the moment. I got mine, Pinto Bean, about 2 weeks after my husband. Midnight (my hubby's baby) does the wiggle butt dance, sniffs and aggravates Pinto. Midnight tends to boss Pinto, so I'm in the process of making a 2 tier cage to fit the space that is allowed. They will each have a level of their own to sleep in. During the day, they'll be in a playpen by my work station. (my computer desk) Everything will be complete this weekend.

I work at home, so I talk to them all day and place my hand in the cage and they'll just scurry about and sniff my hand, etc.. they are most active IN THE NIGHT. lol. They are getting used to me and I feel accomplished a little more each day. It's great motivation.

I do have 4 other animals in the house, so I will not be able to let the babies run the house when time comes. :(

I'm a bit paranoid about cleanliness with animals. You can't tell I have animals until you see them.

I pretty much clean everything daily. Is this too much cleaning? It seems they are getting used to me in their cage all the time and seem to mind less and less. I can imagine it could only help, but I'm just making sure!

I treat my animals like my children since my own children are grown and on their own. Can you spoil a guinea pig? lol

Midnight.jpg PintoBean.jpg
Midnight Pinto Bean

I'm sorry for the long drawn out post!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you turned them over and compared their private parts to make sure they're both the same sex?

I wouldn't separate them unless there's bloodshed or one is aggravated to the point that it's losing weight. Dominance struggles are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, although you do need at least 12-13 square feet for males.

Guinea pigs are herd animals, and they do much better with a cagemate. If you've got two males, you'll just have to grit your teeth and make it through puberty, but what you've described is no reason to separate.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.