Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Post Adoption Questions

SSLee

Cavy Slave
In June, my alpha pig, Birdy died unexpectedly and I need to find a new friend for my remaining pig, Lily. Unfortunately I was in the midst of downsizing my father from a large 4 bedroom 2 bath apartment where my family had lived for over 38 years. I had been his evening caregiver (and my mother’s prior to her passing) and had moved the piggies in with me in 2018. The cleaning out of the apartment and moves (my father to his new one bedroom apartment and me back to my own place) have been one of the most stressful times in my life.

I have been keeping my eyes out for female solo piggies at the shelters and on Craig’s List for the last two months. Every time I found a possible one, she was adopted quickly. There are many pairs and trios available, but few solos. Andy’s Adoption Center in San Jose, about 25 miles away, has had one listed for a while. Andy’s will not adopt out a single pig without a bonding appointment and I am scheduling the appointment for end of the month.
My problem is that I do not drive and take public transit which makes it difficult to transport the piggies long distance. On the day of the bonding appointment, I plan to take Lily to work and from the office, go to San Jose by taking a company shuttle bus and then the train. It will still be an almost 2 hour trip, even from the office. The bonding appointment is expected to be an hour.

Questions…

If they have already been introduced at the adoption center, do I still need to quarantine Xena for 3 weeks?

If all goes well and I adopt Xena (who looks very similar to Lily), do they both go into the same travel carrier going home or is it too confined for newly introduced piggies? I am using a small soft sided dog carrier.

Do I need to wipe down the carrier with vinegar and water solution to remove Lily’s scent?

Will the return trip from San Jose to San Francisco of approximately 2.5 hours on public transit (train, train, and bus) be a problem? My home is not as transit friendly as my father's place. I plan to bring hay, watered veggies, and ice packs with me. San Jose is very warm through September but San Francisco is perfect piggy temperature and I live close to the ocean. Worse case, I can skip the bus part and catch an Uber for the last leg of the journey.

I already wiped down Lily and Birdy’s old 2x4 CC cage with vinegar and water but do not have a place to wash it. Is the wipe down sufficient? Same for the wooden hideys and toys previously used by Birdy and Lily? All the fleece items are washed weekly and I always use vinegar in the rinse. If necessary, I will rewash everything to remove any lingering scent.

My place is significantly smaller than my parents’ former apartment and I will have to get rid of some of my furniture to put the CC cage in the living room. Right now, Lily is living in a large Living World cage, which was her home when I originally got her through Craig’s List.

Thank you in advance for helping with my questions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.