Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question To neuter, get a companion, or let him live on his own

I recently rescued a guinea pig living in terrible conditions. This boar has been alone for over a year, little human interaction, inadequate food. I could go on and on. I already have 2 female piggies who are bonded and perfectly happy with each other. What is the best course of action to ensure all piggies are happy? The options I can see are as follows:
    1. Neuter him and put all piggies in a large cage.
    2. Get a second boar. However, Buddy is already submissive. Plus they would have to be in the same room as the girls.
    3. Put him in a separate cage that shares a wall.

Am I missing any other solutions? Which one would lead to the happiest piggies?

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Re: To neuter, get a companion, or let him live on his own

If the money is there, I would get him neutered to be put with the girls. Also, if you have room for the right size cage.
    A herd of three sounds so fun to watch and all three would most definitly love interacting together. Plus he'd be in sow heaven

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Candalalala In my case i think i will do the same thing as @Michelle81 because its great solution.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,519 Rec'd/1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Get the boy neutered! It is quite safe in the hands of a cavy saavy Vet. Almost all my boars have been neutered......for various reasons. Sounds as though he will be quite compatible with the two ladies, and provide a pleasant distraction for them.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

He's now neutered and recovering. Can't wait to put them all together.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,172 Rec'd/5,710 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3743 Post(s)

Just making sure you know he has to wait a minimum of three weeks, and four is better.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,519 Rec'd/1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle81 View Post
    He's now neutered and recovering. Can't wait to put them all together.
    Wow.........that was fast! I presume that you are aware of what his recovery will be like?

Keep him confined to a limited space so that he doesn't become too active until the healing is well underway. Watch your boy carefully to ensure that there is no redness, swelling, heat, etc. around the incision site. Vets generally don't use sutures in a neuter, but use vet-glue (skin bonding substance) to close the external wound. As this starts to heal, the area will begin to shrink a bit and may be slightly painful to the boy. I usually put a tiny bit of neosporin on the site (rubbing it in well) to ease the tension on the wound.

Also be aware that his scrotum won't shrink immediately and that it will initially just be this floppy empty sac. This is something that one is rarely advised of prior to surgery and can be a cause for concern post-op when you see it just flapping in the breeze. The scrotum will atrophy until you won't know it ever existed.

Regarding @bpatters advice.......the general thinking is that it takes 3-4 wks. for all the sperm to die and to ensure that he will no longer be fertile. Be aware that he may or may not have any libido after the neuter. My Sparky was neutered at about 6 mos. and he has no idea that his penis is good for anything other than a waterspout.

User Tag List