Thread: Introducing Boars -- Should I Separate?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Introducing Boars -- Should I Separate?

I've recently gotten a hold of 2 boars from the same place (but different cages) and am trying to get through introductions. It's been around 8 hours since I've put them together in the same pen.

Arthur is probably less than a year old, and slightly older by a few months. Geralt is a decent bit smaller and less physically mature. I have them held in an expanded Midwest cage (just as a pen for introductions), and they seem to somewhat get along. There's a 2-way tunnel, a chewing treat log, a haypile, 2 bowls, and 2 water bottles in the cage currently.

Artie is the dominant pig, but is pretty respectful and leaves Geralt be after chasing him a few laps or if he chatters. They've gotten to the point where chattering is minimal and they can sniff eachother's faces and butts without getting too irritated... Still nipping a little and rumblestrutting, but they typically let eachother be without much drama.

The only issue is that Geralt won't let Artie mount him and it seems like he really isn't going to take it. The only time Ger really retaliates or tries to nip back is when Artie tries to get on top of him, but I've heard mounting is pretty important.

Is there a standard for how long introductions usually take, and should I separate them if the aggressive behaviors and chasing doesn't stop? I'm hesitant to move them in together with hideys without knowing for sure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Introducing Boars -- Should I Separate?

They're going to mount, no doubt about it. Unless there's blood shed, or one of them is pestered to the point that he's losing weight, let them be to work it out on their own.

Throw out the chewing treat log if it's one of those held together by molasses -- they've got way too much sugar for guinea pigs.

How large is your expanded Midwest cage? Two boars need a minimum of 10.5 square feet, and 13 is preferred.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Checked in today and they both semi-hid in the same tunnel with no problems. Neither are trying to guard the food or water from the other either.

Understood about the treat log, I took it out.

It's 2 Midwest cages combined as one with no dividers. One is calculated at a true 7.2 sq ft, so I'm guessing it's around a total of at least 14 sq ft.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Sounds like it's going well.

User Tag List