Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Can hay cause soft poo?

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have a rescue and have over 20 GPs. Recently I bought a 50lbs bag of oxbow timothy hay and all of their poo changed and I'm wondering if this can be the cause.

The hay is different, it's softer, less pokey even smells different like sweeter maybe. They seem to like and don't waste any bits but I've noticed that a lot of them have very soft poo. I even find clumps of poo and brown staining on their fleece. They all seem ok, no bloating, no fever, no hunched over, they all run around, drink, eat... they haven't changed other than their poo.

I have them if different enclosures depending on the sex so they are not in direct contact either. Those that don't seem as affected have pointy poos. This all started not long after I started this new box. I have taken them off veggies. I added probiatics to their water bottle for a day and that seemed to have helped some...

Can it actually be caused by the hay? Will they get used to it?

Thank you for any help you can provide

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Could the hay be a different cut than what you were previously getting? You said it was softer and smelled sweeter; maybe it's third-cut hay which doesn't have as much fiber as the more common second-cutting. If that is the case, the decrease in fiber content could be the cause of the softer poo. I once got a box of third-cut for Tribble and Rolo and noticed very soon that they started having softer stools, too. I've kept all my pigs on second-cut hay ever since.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Thanks LittleSqueakers, that's what I was thinking too. I'm glad that you have noticed the same so I can assume it's the hay. Did you continue using the same hay?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I was going to suggest that you donate the hay to a rescue and start over, but......you ARE a rescue. Perhaps buy a new box of the usual hay and mix it with the current one to avoid the issue. That way you can add some fiber back in to their diets. Start with a small box and if they seem to tolerate it well and the stool firms up, then continue to mix them until you run out of the current type. Certainly worth a try!

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I was going to suggest that you donate the hay to a rescue and start over, but......you ARE a rescue. Perhaps buy a new box of the usual hay and mix it with the current one to avoid the issue. That way you can add some fiber back in to their diets. Start with a small box and if they seem to tolerate it well and the stool firms up, then continue to mix them until you run out of the current type. Certainly worth a try!

Oh I love that idea, I didn't think of going with a smaller box. I was afraid that if I ordered another 50lbs box, I would get the same quality...
I will definitely try that option!! Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.