Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: Unplanned adoption, seeking input on my check list

So happy to read your updates! It’s a good sign that he’s inquisitive and interested in his surroundings. Just think of all the spoiling you have ahead of you!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

@ItsaZoo This poor little guy has been through a lot and I really had to slow down to allow him to come along at his pace. We have just now been able to bring him into the living room and have him come out and move around. I am looking forward to the new cage. That will give him space to move. The pigloo will stay short term for him to feel secure and we will add a fleece forest for move cover in the new cage.

I had to watch a nail clipping video. This guy is very wiggly and does not like his feet handled. That is tonight's project.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    .This guy is very wiggly and does not like his feet handled.
    You may already be aware of these, but just some tips based on my own experience. I do the entire routine without help. And, I don't try to distract with treats.....they come after the procedure.

I use scissors (I think they are termed kitten/small animal scissors) because they encircle the nail and won’t split it as human nail clippers can.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+ani...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I wrap the piggy burrito style so that I can control him by myself. Once he is wrapped up tightly, I first do the back nails as they are the most difficult. My Sparky (who is the ultimate mellow fellow) will kick and thrash the entire time and I like to get the most difficult part done first. I’m right handed, so he goes in my lap with my left forearm controlling him against my body and that hand holding his foot/toes as I work.

The back nails are cut with the scissors, and then the sharp edges smoothed with a Dremel. I then will often put quick-drying nail polish on them to further smooth them to protect my very sensitive skin. After this is done, I then expose his head and front paws and simply clip his front nails. I only occasionally use the Dremel on them. I should mention that I always use a latex/vinyl glove on the hand holding the nails, especially when it is the front nails and your cavy is tempted to bite……..or not.

NOW HERE IS THE REAL SECRET TO PAINLESS AND BLOODLESS NAIL CUTTING. Encircle the nail with the scissors and clamp down only half way until you put a little pressure on the nail. If you are too close to the quick, the piggy will wince and cry out. In that case, readjust your position and try again. If he doesn’t react, then you’re good to go and continue to cut the nail. This technique works especially well on black nails.

Should you make a mistake and cut a nail too short, try stopping the bleeding with cornstarch, flour, or a little sustained pressure. I will also use Vet Tissue Adhesive that dries in a few seconds. The one I recommend was developed for cats after a declawing procedure.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquivet-Tiss...gateway&sr=8-9

Be VERY cautious with this…….it literally bonds in seconds and invariably will get on surfaces that you don’t want to bond. Use it gently and sparingly and be sure to wipe the tip before putting the cap on again and store it upright to avoid it clogging the spout. We also use this product for small cuts and scrapes on our skin, especially those nasty cracks one gets on the fingers in winter.

I have a grooming session about once a month when I clip nails, clean the genital area, clean ears and do a thorough brushing. It's not fun for either of us, but I have become pretty adept at it and it doesn't take an inordinate amount of time. Be sure to allow some post-procedure cuddle time.....a baby carrot or two seems to be the perfect peace offering and all is forgiven.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Thanks for the good tips to nail trimming! I do it myself also. We kind of fumble some days if she’s more wiggly. The burrito wrap is a good idea.

I have used the kitten scissors but I have trouble judging how much I’m taking off so I also use a human nail clipper. Depending on how I have to hold her sometimes it’s easier to clip the nail sideways rather than trying to get the curved part with the clipper. Whatever works!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

@spy9doc Nail clipping was very successful. We actually had a two person operation and he did really well. His nails were very dirty and the trick of gently squeezing the clippers and checking reaction really helped us not clip a quick.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

UPDATE - My daughter informed me that our new furry potato is officially Nutter Butter. I prefer to call him Fuzzy Butter. He is doing well overall and has started wheeking at supper time and when he can hear a bag rustle that generally means, hay, pellets, or Oxbow wafer. He is starting to figure out the refrigerator door sound also. New photo of Nutter Butter because he is a handsome little boy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190901_190057317.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	86251

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Oh my, he is a cutie! I do like the name Nutter Butter since he is the same color as the cookies! Amazing that these little ones are so resilient. It sounds like he’s a smarty figuring out his new home and all the sounds. Thanks for the update!

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Thank you for the update! So glad to hear he officially has a name and is doing well! Time and love will do so much for these little guys........

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa I was really concerned he would always be a shy, skitish guy because he has been through so much. I am very happy to hear him wheeking and he is starting to be much more vocal with more whistles and wheeks. He very much enjoys veggies and is a very efficient hay eater. He is not one to leave scraps.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Further updates on Nutter Butter. His pigloo was replaced with a fleece forest and he will have a tunnel soon. The pigloo was taking up a lot of space and he seems very content to snuggle and hide in the fleece forest. He wheeks for supper, more so when I am not around because he doesn't get near as spoiled by the rest of the family apparently. He has made great improvements and is very comfortable with lap time and we are working to get him more floor time and space. I'll be posting more pictures of him as we noticed he has a very neat ridge of fur running down his back.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

I've been following Nutter Butter's wonderful rescue story for a while now! It's great to hear I can't wait to see more pictures...I thought he was an Abby from the first one, but maybe he's actually a Ridgeback? This link has a good picture and description of a Ridgeback piggy third from the top: https://www.somerzby.com.au/blog/ult...ig-breed-list/
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 09-25-19 at 11:01 am. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Thanks for the good news about Nutter Butter! I’m so glad things are going well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Just a little update. Nutter Butter is enjoying being spoiled and has learned wheeking is a good thing and generally results in supper, breakfast, fresh hay, or pellets arriving. There were some setbacks on his new home that should be corrected soon so he can get back to zooming. He much prefers a fleece forest to a pigloo now.

We are really not sure of his age. At least a year, could be as old as three. So we are going to take good care of him and make sure he has a great life from here on out. My daughter was contacted by the now ex-boyfriend (the one that joked about roasting Nutter Butter) about getting Nutter Butter back. Worry not, Nutter Butter is in his forever home and I doubt that question will ever be asked again.

14. "Thank you, HunterRose13, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    Just a little update. Nutter Butter is enjoying being spoiled and has learned wheeking is a good thing and generally results in supper, breakfast, fresh hay, or pellets arriving. There were some setbacks on his new home that should be corrected soon so he can get back to zooming. He much prefers a fleece forest to a pigloo now.

We are really not sure of his age. At least a year, could be as old as three. So we are going to take good care of him and make sure he has a great life from here on out. My daughter was contacted by the now ex-boyfriend (the one that joked about roasting Nutter Butter) about getting Nutter Butter back. Worry not, Nutter Butter is in his forever home and I doubt that question will ever be asked again.

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear Nutter Butter has a good home that will keep him, spoil him and love him for who he is. Couldn't have happened to a cuter pig!

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

So great to hear!!! He's gone from pauper to prince

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Thanks for the update on Nutter Butter! Such good news!

User Tag List