Thread: Rescuing a Third Male - What's the best course of action?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Rescuing a Third Male - What's the best course of action?

Hi everyone!

So my mother-in-law is rescuing a guinea pig male from her friends house. The poor thing is kept on pine shavings, doesn't get veggies, is kept on his own and has a cage smaller than what I use from my mice... The boy is never handled and the woman doesn't even want it - she took it off of a family that were being deported back to America.

My mother-in-law has been living with me for a while now and loves my piggies and learned a lot about their care. When she saw the conditions that the lone pig was in, she without thinking offered to take him off of her.

I don't know when we are getting the third male, but from what she told me he is twice the size of my boys and quite old. His buddy passed 4 months back and there is no way that the new family is going to get him a friend - they would rather pass him onto us.

I have to be realistic here. Three males just doesn't work majority of the time. They have a whole room converted into their home, so space would not be an issue. I want to help out this piggy but I don't know if it's even possible. If there is any way that I could make this arrangement work, please let me know, but if it absolutely wouldn't, that's fine too.

For reference purposes -

Scotty is between 4-6 years old. I've had him 4 years, but he was at least 6 months old when I got him, but likely more.

Wiley is 9 months old. We got him when he was 5 weeks.

The new pig is supposedly over 4 years old himself.

I know that age can sometimes make a difference, especially with young males when they hit puberty.

Any help or piece of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    529 Rec'd/446 Posts

Re: Rescuing a Third Male - What's the best course of action?

The chances of it working with all three boys together are very low, and there is the risk any introductions could go horribly wrong.

Think injuries, worse case scenario a flying ball of biting resulting in potentially serious facial or body injuries to one or both parties even if they are split up in literal seconds. Potentially permanently breaking the bond of your existing pair or possibly ending up with three solo boys, none of which can be house with either of the others. If any of those things are not something you would be capable of dealing with if they were to happen I would not suggest attempting a boar trio.

I would never suggest someone ever attempt a boar trio except in remarkably exceptional circumstances.

Would it be possible to house the potential new boy separately, and possibly in the future adopting a fourth to have two separate pairs?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Rescuing a Third Male - What's the best course of action?

Thank you, this confirms what I thought already!

I might set the new boy in a c&c cage within the room where in other two boys are free ranging. I don't know if I'll be able to get him a partner any time soon as we are moving to a new house within a month or two.

Hopefully the boys being in such close proximity is not going to cause any issues.

Thank you for the reassurance!

User Tag List