Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Sneezing? And nail trimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureElla

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has been "sneezing". I do not know if it is an actual sneeze, as some people say it may be expelling air. It sounds like a high pitched release of air. Though, he is pooping/peeing normally, eating perfectly fine, weight is stable. I've been letting him on my bed, and his hay is a bit dusty. So, what should I do?

-Also... I got a grooming set yesterday, with a soft bristle brush, a nail clipper, and a bit of a stiffer brush. My question is about nail trimming.

1. How do I know if I should cut them?

2. How often do I clip them? (ppl said once a month)

3. Will it hurt them if I do it?

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the "sneezing". How often does it happen? If it's only every once in a while, it's probably fine. For the nail trimming, you should be able to tell when they get long. If your guinea pig's nails are white (or whiteish), then you'll be able to see the "quick" of the nail, which is the blood vessel in the nail. Basically trim the nails whenever they get too long and trim them close to the quick (but not too close because you don't want to nick him). It won't hurt your guinea pig, though he might complain and wriggle around a lot. If you do accidentally cut too close to the quick, a little bit of flour or cornstarch pressed into that nail will stop the bleeding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@PureElla, you get ONE medical thread per pig on the forum. You've already asked about the sneezing. If you want that thread to be your medical thread, let me know if you want the name changed, and I'll change it for you. But please don't make multiple threads on the same topic.

I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.