Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sneezing? And nail trimming.

My guinea pig has been "sneezing". I do not know if it is an actual sneeze, as some people say it may be expelling air. It sounds like a high pitched release of air. Though, he is pooping/peeing normally, eating perfectly fine, weight is stable. I've been letting him on my bed, and his hay is a bit dusty. So, what should I do?

-Also... I got a grooming set yesterday, with a soft bristle brush, a nail clipper, and a bit of a stiffer brush. My question is about nail trimming.

1. How do I know if I should cut them?

2. How often do I clip them? (ppl said once a month)

3. Will it hurt them if I do it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Sneezing? And nail trimming.

I'm not sure about the "sneezing". How often does it happen? If it's only every once in a while, it's probably fine. For the nail trimming, you should be able to tell when they get long. If your guinea pig's nails are white (or whiteish), then you'll be able to see the "quick" of the nail, which is the blood vessel in the nail. Basically trim the nails whenever they get too long and trim them close to the quick (but not too close because you don't want to nick him). It won't hurt your guinea pig, though he might complain and wriggle around a lot. If you do accidentally cut too close to the quick, a little bit of flour or cornstarch pressed into that nail will stop the bleeding.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Sneezing? And nail trimming.

@PureElla, you get ONE medical thread per pig on the forum. You've already asked about the sneezing. If you want that thread to be your medical thread, let me know if you want the name changed, and I'll change it for you. But please don't make multiple threads on the same topic.

I'm closing this one.

User Tag List