Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Question Luke's Medical Thread

My pig has been laying down/sleeping a TON lately, and I canít figure out why. Heís almost always laying down when Iím in my room, and heís laying down as Iím typing this. He only gets up when he sees Iím filling up his food and when I go and pick him up to give him floor time, but he starts laying down and sleeping on my rug. Iím really worried heís sick, because Iíve lost two pets over the past few months (not piggies, heís my first one) and I donít want to lose him too. My momís coworker (who specializes in rodents, reptiles, etc) only works on certain days, and the vet where they work is I think 30-40 minutes away, so I donít really have anywhere to go. If you know whatís going on, please tell me because I have no idea. Thank you!!
    Last edited by PiggyMonster; 07-29-19 at 10:37 pm. Reason: R

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Re: Laying down/sleeping a lot?

Ok, before you start to worry too much, ( I know how that feels! ) here are some questions...Is this something new that he's suddenly started to do? Is he still eating and drinking as much as usual? Is his pee and poop still normal? No nose/eye boogers, or anything else out of the ordinary?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Luke's Medical Thread

@PiggyMonster, I've changed the name of this thread. It is your pig's medical thread. Please keep all medical and dietary posts about this pig on this thread. Thanks.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@MerryFriarTuck 1) it started a few days ago so I probably should’ve asked about it when I first noticed it, 2) he’s eating regularly but not drinking as much water as usual, 3)he’s not peeing very much but his poop looks normal, 4) no nose or eye boogers, and I haven’t noticed anything else different than usual

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@bpatters ok, thank you

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

A lot of people here have more experience than me, but I think you should probably bring him to a vet. It seems odd he suddenly got like this in the last few days. A small bit of good news is when piggies are very sick there is usually little doubt...that he's still eating, etc, is good.
    I would check his water bottle to make sure it isn't clogged or something else that's keeping him from drinking. Cucumber and water melon are great high water content treats you can give him since he isn't drinking as much

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

A lethargic pig is often a sign of an ill pig. If he were mine and was that lethargic and it was abnormal, he would be at the vets ASAP.

Thanks
    Thanks
    59 Rec'd/53 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    A lethargic pig is often a sign of an ill pig. If he were mine and was that lethargic and it was abnormal, he would be at the vets ASAP.
    Agreed--- I would if he was my piggy too. I don't like how it suddenly happened...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    A lot of people here have more experience than me, but I think you should probably bring him to a vet. It seems odd he suddenly got like this in the last few days. A small bit of good news is when piggies are very sick there is usually little doubt...that he's still eating, etc, is good.
    I would check his water bottle to make sure it isn't clogged or something else that's keeping him from drinking. Cucumber and water melon are great high water content treats you can give him since he isn't drinking as much
    Ok I checked his water and it wasn’t clogged, I’ll ask my mom if I can go to the grocery store today and get some
    cucumber, I’ll also ask her if she can take him in next time she has the same work shift as the vet I go to (my mom works with dogs and cats so I don’t know if she’d be able to tell what’s wrong)

Thanks
    Thanks
    557 Rec'd/462 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMonster View Post
    Ok I checked his water and it wasn’t clogged, I’ll ask my mom if I can go to the grocery store today and get some
    cucumber, I’ll also ask her if she can take him in next time she has the same work shift as the vet I go to (my mom works with dogs and cats so I don’t know if she’d be able to tell what’s wrong)
    I don't want it to seem like I'm giving you a kick in the seat of the pants, but you DO need to know.....

Illness in Guinea pigs often spreads very quickly, and oftentimes if a pig is showing symptoms it can be too late. I'm not trying to scare you, but I would definitely get your pig in as soon a possible. If he is indeed ill, the longer you wait the worse it can be.

Thanks
    Thanks
    72 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Also, I wouldn't waste time with a vet who only sees dogs and cats. They get little or no training in the care of exotic animals, and some of them can even give dangerous advice/treatment. What works for a dog or cat is not always what works for a guinea pig. The vets I worked with for many years after I got pigs were small animal (dog and cat) vets. On the rare occasions someone brought a guinea pig into the clinic, they would actually consult with me. What you need for your guinea pig is an exotic vet.

User Tag List