Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Potential Fighting/Dominance Issues?

sarahw04

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to guinea pigs (and this forum) and I recently decided to adopt some. I've done loads of research, however there is a lot of information out there and I am inexperienced. I put together a 2x4 C&C cage (which now I feel is still too small so I will be adding on), and then went to a neighbor near me who was wanting to rehome her two piggies (both girls). When she showed us the cage, I felt so bad. It's one of those small pet store cages that every guinea pig care website or YouTube channel tells you never to buy. And as a reasonable person who has had a rabbit and has a hamster, I understand exactly why these animals need more space than the pet store people tell you. Long story short, I had to take them then and there because I knew I had a bigger space for them at home.

Anyways, to the real reason for this post, this morning, my first full day of having them, they are both out and about exploring/eating hay. However I noticed that when they're exploring together, one of them will bite the other's butt. It's like they're chasing each other, but there are no bite marks. The one who's getting "bit" makes a sound like the warning/step back sound that skinnypigs1 describes here: https://youtu.be/hHBEg1yp12U
Also, one will run away when they see the other occasionally. They just seem to not like each other in general.

This could possibly be because they were in such a small cage and now they have so much more room, so they're establishing dominance finally. Or maybe they could be fighting? Chances are this will go away in a few days. I'm probably just being a paranoid new guinea pig mom, but I want the best for them!

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this that they can share?
Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.