Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scratching until bleeding

About four days ago I noticed a scratch on my guineas nose and thought Iíll just keep an eye on it. I had to go on a two day trip and when I got back most the hair on her nose jad been scratched off and it was scabbing up, now a day later thereís a big scab. Iím having her seen by a vet tmrw. Thereís no sign off scratches anywhere else on her body or my other guinea she rooms with. Any ideas what it might be?? My mom wants to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide, is that safe???

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,517 Rec'd/1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Re: Scratching until bleeding

@Fleetwood Mac......please be aware that our beloved furry friends are not called guineas. A guinea is a type of fowl that is often kept for food and also as a watchdog. They are quite territorial and will screech loudly when strangers come around their turf.

The correct term for a guinea pig is cavy (pronounced ka-ve) which comes from the scientific name: Cavia porcellus
    It seems to be a bit of a mystery as to why they have the name guinea pigs since they are not native to Guinea nor are they biologically related to pigs, so it seems the origin of the name is still unclear..

Thanks
    Thanks
    484 Rec'd/410 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

Could it possibly be a fungal infection? Check out this link which contains a few images of different kinds of fungal infections on guinea pigs https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guys Iíve been treating her with Nazirol shampoo, cream, and benedrly for two days and it seems like she just keeps getting worse. Sheís scratched it all bloody and I think thereís pus, I canít get a vet appointment until a week from now. I donít know what to do, Iíve had her for two weeks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA4C466A-DD14-4D23-A749-E608A816A54F.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	86166

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

She needs to see a vet before a week from now. Is there another vet available?

What kind of cream are you using?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Itís for anti fungal, Clotrimazone Cream USP 1%, Iíve also been mixing in a little bit of tripe antibiotic ointment with it which seems to be helping, I give her .7 mls of kids Benadryl every for hours to lessen the scratching. Iíve searched all over the net and it seems what Iím doing should work. She seems better today. Thatís the only vet Iíve been able to find for guinea pigs Iím afraid. I think sheís getting better.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

If you were using an antifungal cream and it wasn't helping, my next suggestion was going to be an antibacterial one. If she were mine, I'd drop the Clotrimazole and just use the triple antibiotic. However, apply it very sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in well -- you don't want the pig to ingest any of it.

I'd also try cutting back on the Benadryl -- smaller doses, less frequently, and phase her off of it as soon as she stops scratching.

User Tag List