Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Scratching until bleeding

Fleetwood Mac

Cavy Slave
About four days ago I noticed a scratch on my guineas nose and thought I’ll just keep an eye on it. I had to go on a two day trip and when I got back most the hair on her nose jad been scratched off and it was scabbing up, now a day later there’s a big scab. I’m having her seen by a vet tmrw. There’s no sign off scratches anywhere else on her body or my other guinea she rooms with. Any ideas what it might be?? My mom wants to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide, is that safe???

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
@Fleetwood Mac......please be aware that our beloved furry friends are not called guineas. A guinea is a type of fowl that is often kept for food and also as a watchdog. They are quite territorial and will screech loudly when strangers come around their turf.

The correct term for a guinea pig is cavy (pronounced ka-ve) which comes from the scientific name: Cavia porcellus
It seems to be a bit of a mystery as to why they have the name guinea pigs since they are not native to Guinea nor are they biologically related to pigs, so it seems the origin of the name is still unclear..

Soecara

Cavy Slave

Fleetwood Mac

Cavy Slave
Guys I’ve been treating her with Nazirol shampoo, cream, and benedrly for two days and it seems like she just keeps getting worse. She’s scratched it all bloody and I think there’s pus, I can’t get a vet appointment until a week from now. I don’t know what to do, I’ve had her for two weeks. BA4C466A-DD14-4D23-A749-E608A816A54F.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs to see a vet before a week from now. Is there another vet available?

What kind of cream are you using?

Fleetwood Mac

Cavy Slave
It’s for anti fungal, Clotrimazone Cream USP 1%, I’ve also been mixing in a little bit of tripe antibiotic ointment with it which seems to be helping, I give her .7 mls of kids Benadryl every for hours to lessen the scratching. I’ve searched all over the net and it seems what I’m doing should work. She seems better today. That’s the only vet I’ve been able to find for guinea pigs I’m afraid. I think she’s getting better.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you were using an antifungal cream and it wasn't helping, my next suggestion was going to be an antibacterial one. If she were mine, I'd drop the Clotrimazole and just use the triple antibiotic. However, apply it very sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in well -- you don't want the pig to ingest any of it.

I'd also try cutting back on the Benadryl -- smaller doses, less frequently, and phase her off of it as soon as she stops scratching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.