Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Any tips for flying with piggies?

rawrimadinno8

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm moving across the US from the east coast to the west coast with my 2 pigs and was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for flying with piggies. Anyone have any recommended airlines, carriers, or experiences to learn from/account for when flying cross country? Any advice is appreciated!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
To my knowledge, only one domestic airline (Frontier) permits cavies in the cabin. The others simply don't want rodents to share the same space with the passengers. Most airlines will only permit dogs or cats to be carried in the passenger cabin, especially in light of the recent misuse of the "support animal" provision where people were carrying all sorts of critters in the cabin. This means that your cavies will travel in an approved container in the cargo hold.

You should be able to go to the individual airline's website to find posted information as to an approved carrier. I simply wouldn't want to check my boys as cargo in any kind of potentially extreme weather as the heat in the summer or cold in the winter. You have no way of knowing how long they will sit on the tarmac when they are being loaded/unloaded on the airplane. That can especially be potentially dangerous if there is an enroute aircraft change to a connecting flight. I'm not trying to scare you, but having worked for an airline for several years, I feel as though I have a bit of an insight into the process.

If I were you, I would investigate another way of transporting them such as FedEx, Airborne, etc. In any event, ask lots of questions in advance of shipping your piggies.

coconbrownie

Cavy Slave
I'm actually encountering similar problems. Only issue is Frontie has limited service areas and do not fly where I need. I know alaska airlines allow then in cargo that's temperature controlled but i don't trust it

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I know alaska airlines allow then in cargo that's temperature controlled but i don't trust it

Then you have a problem. That's just about the only way you will be able to transport your cavies. Most airlines (at least domestically) will carry animals in a temperature-controlled cargo compartment. Even if you ship them via FedEx, UPS or Airborne, they still will have to travel as cargo. The only reason I suggested possibly shipping this this way is that they will probably will be more closely supervised and have less risk of downtime on the tarmac or at an enroute stop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.