Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Sudden weight loss

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Our Trish weighed 887 grams last week, but today when I weighed her, she went down 80 grams to 807. Our other pig, Lisa Lisa, weighed 634 grams last week and went up 6 to 640 today, so I'm worried about Trish. I know females should weigh between 700 and 900 grams, right? So Trish is still in the middle of that range, but I'm concerned about the sudden weight loss. We haven't noticed anything different about her or her eating habits, so should we be worried?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
80 grams in a week is a fair bit of weight to lose. I would certainly be alarmed, and I would certainly be monitoring her more closely for weight loss like that. If she continues to lose, I would take her to a vet asap.

6 grams for Lisa Lisa is virtually nothing, but at least it's a nothing in the right direction.

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
Sorry for no updates! It seems like the issue was with the scale being dirty; after I cleaned it, it consistently showed Trish's weight as 900 grams! False alarm :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it! Better a false alarm than the alternative!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.