Thread: How do I tell what gender my piggy is?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

How do I tell what gender my piggy is?

So I think my pig is a boy, but Iím not sure because my mom got him at a pet store (yeah I know bad idea but she probably didnít know, I wasnít there to pick him so I couldnít tell her that they arenít a good place to buy from), and he wonít let me pick him up so I can look and make sure heís a boy. Is there a way that I can tell without looking, or is that the only way? Sorry Iíve asked a lot of questions lately

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Re: How do I tell what gender my piggy is?

You have to pick him up to look. Try using a hidey to run him into and pick him up from there. If he's a boy he'll have a hard ridge above his genitals.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@Candalalala I tried picking him up but he tried to bite me, is there a way I can tell without having to pick him up?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

You're going to have to pick the pig up. There's no point in having him if you don't.

Use a hidey, or a small cardboard box, to shoo him into, or to gently trap him against the wall. When you catch him, put him on you lap (towel underneath), a light cloth over him, pet him gently, and feed him yummy treats. He may not eat yet, but the ONLY way you're going to tame him is to pick him up, feed him and pet him.

He's going to need regular weighings, check-overs, and nail trims. How are you going to do that if you won't catch him?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,517 Rec'd/1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMonster View Post
    I tried picking him up but he tried to bite me, is there a way I can tell without having to pick him up?
    You need to pick him up and handle him OFTEN. Cavies are skittish by nature and may run from you for a very long time. Most of them will calm down once they are in your lap or cuddled on your chest. I can calm even the most frightened by holding it on my chest and speaking to it softly and lightly stroking it.

Keep in mind that cavies have little dexterity with their front paws unlike a cat or other animal. EVERYTHING is explored with the mouth so if it wants to bat your hand away or feel it has to defend itself, he will likely snap at you. If you are afraid of being bitten, then wear vinyl or latex gloves until he has had time to become familiar with your voice, your smell, and your touch.

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

If you could get a picture, people here could tell you...
    Also, as long as he's full grown ( around a year old ) and not neutered, his boy bits should be pretty obvious just from the back.
    The only way to know for sure is to do a full exam; picking him up and looking at/feeling the area.
    ( And if you're getting him a buddy you absolutely must know 100% for sure )
    When it comes to getting him to let you pick him up, slow and steady wins the race! Some guinea pigs, my Friar Tuck included, take a very long time to build enough trust. It's hard for them to ignore their prey animal instincts--- in the wild, being picked up by something bigger than you usually also means you're going to get eaten, . Don't give up! Start with petting him and letting him get used to your hands being around him. If he already does, you're doing better than a lot of new guinea pig owners already! All the tips here---using a cardboard box, feeding him, remembering guinea pigs feel with their mouths, etc. are great advice. Don't feel bad for asking questions; it's great you're a caring enough piggy parent to ask them... Best of luck!
    Last edited by MerryFriarTuck; 07-28-19 at 07:06 am. Reason: Typo, forgot to add something

User Tag List