Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Fancy's Medical Thread

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Ok so I got Fancy ((5-6 months)) and Furby ((2 months)) a bit over 1 week ago and that day I checked their sexes and found out Furby who was supposed to be female was infact male while Fancy had been sexed correctly as a female so I immediately separated them and started her on pregnancy watch and scheduled them appointments at a vet well know for guinea pigs and they confirmed my sexing and then checked Fancy for pregnancy and could feel some hard/firm bumps in her uterus area and said they believe she’s pregnant and asked if I wanted an X-ray to try to see spines cause she might be far enough along and I agreed - we didn’t see any spines yet but there’s 2 ovals that are clearly not gas each being about 3 cm long so far so they’re pretty sure and I’m pretty sure that she’s got 2 babies in her and I’m assuming they’re probably about 4 weeks along cause they don’t have spines yet but are big enough for the possibility of spines -the vet did say I could come back in 2 weeks to get a follow up X-ray if I wanted to check for spines again I’m not sure yet if I’m gonna though

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Accidentally pregnant female

I answered this on your other thread.

But I'm changing this thread to Fancy's medical thread. Please keep all medical or pregnancy related posts to this thread..

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Re: Accidentally pregnant female

I answered this on your other thread.

But I'm changing this thread to Fancy's medical thread. Please keep all medical or pregnancy related posts to this thread..
Ok and I didn’t even think about this one already being on the medical thread sorry

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't suggest going for the second x-ray. All it will do is confirm a number of pups, and with how young she is it that information doesn't really doesn't change anything.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't suggest going for the second x-ray. All it will do is confirm a number of pups, and with how young she is it that information doesn't really doesn't change anything.
Ok thanks I’ll just keep weighing her like the vet said to
I’m gonna be picking up some alfalfa hay this weekend other than that her diets pretty good 1 tablespoon pellets 1/8th bell pepper, some cilantro, a chunk of cucumber, and I’m probably gonna try some celery with her along with free feeding Timothy hay

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I forgot to write down the weight the vet told me but I weighed Fancy in the 17th ((782 grams/1 lb 11.5 oz)) and then today the 25th 8 days later ((820 grams/1 lb 13 oz)) so she’s gained 38 grams/1.5 oz in 8 days
shes been getting all the Timothy she wants, about a tablespoon of pellets and about a cup of veggies a day and this weekend I will be picking up a bag of alfalfa hay

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Shoot we got a really bad storm today and I’ve got both Fancy and Furby in separate cages but Furbys was just a large tote with no lid inside of the 12 sq foot dog playpen that Fancy was in and Furby musta got scared cause he hopped from the tub into the dog playpen and when I put him back in the tub and went to get the stuff to make a lid he hopped back out so now Fancy’s in the tote with a lid now and Furbys in the dog playpen and I zipped it up
Fingers crossed that she was really already pregnant or my pregnancy watch will be continuing for even longer

I can not wait to be able to finish my c&c cages next weekend

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Shoot we got a really bad storm today and I’ve got both Fancy and Furby in separate cages but Furbys was just a large tote with no lid inside of the 12 sq foot dog playpen that Fancy was in and Furby musta got scared cause he hopped from the tub into the dog playpen and when I put him back in the tub and went to get the stuff to make a lid he hopped back out so now Fancy’s in the tote with a lid now and Furbys in the dog playpen and I zipped it up
Fingers crossed that she was really already pregnant or my pregnancy watch will be continuing for even longer

I can not wait to be able to finish my c&c cages next weekend

Sigh.. [MENTION=44053]PennyLane94[/MENTION]...That is why you were told on a previous post about making your c&c cage to have a lid on your female's side of any cage if they were next to each other....take a look:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/121485-Amazon-c-amp-c-grids

Your male will be very determined to get at the female and will climb over his own side to get to her. He will have difficulty getting at her if her side is covered.

Please tell me if you are using a plastic tub, to keep any guinea pig in temporarily, it is ventilated in some way and is big enough for them to be active.

I am glad you are making a c&c cage....just please heed the advice you are given.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Sigh.. @PennyLane94...That is why you were told on a previous post about making your c&c cage to have a lid on your female's side of any cage if they were next to each other....take a look:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/121485-Amazon-c-amp-c-grids

Your male will be very determined to get at the female and will climb over his own side to get to her. He will have difficulty getting at her if her side is covered.

Please tell me if you are using a plastic tub, to keep any guinea pig in temporarily, it is ventilated in some way and is big enough for them to be activ

I am glad you are making a c&c cage....just please heed the advice you are given.
The plastic tub is 6 sq feet so smaller than minimum but larger than they were in together and my c&c cage is gonna have a lid on both halves and yes the tub has plenty of airflow

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Also I thought it would be ok for a bit cause the tub was 18 inches high sorry I was human and made a mistake

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Thought I’d post one last thing on this thread that she had her 3 babies today and they look like 3 perfect baby potatoes

Attachments

31F05124-E243-4075-A8B6-628CED92B89F.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Adorable potatoes!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Very cute! I am so glad things went well. Enjoy them!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!! They're precious ❤️ and the one is even a harlequin pattern like mama... I'm so glad all are doing well and we got to see them!

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!! They're precious ❤️ and the one is even a harlequin pattern like mama... I'm so glad all are doing well and we got to see them!
Thanks I’m hoping they’re shorthaired like mama instead of curly like the daddy

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You should be able to tell right now if they will be Texel/Teddy/Rex coat types because even though their hair is still baby short they would still have a wave to their hair from the time they are born if they were any of those coat types.

However they could potentially still be long hairs even if their hair is straight as that won't really start to show until they are 4-8 weeks old, they would probably be more like a Peruvian or Sheltie in that case.

Here is an old photo of mine that shows an example of the hair wave of the "curly" coat type guinea pig babies (left), compared to his smooth hair brother (right), and of course the proud fuzzy mother.
attachment.php

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
You should be able to tell right now if they will be Texel/Teddy/Rex coat types because even though their hair is still baby short they would still have a wave to their hair from the time they are born if they were any of those coat types.

However they could potentially still be long hairs even if their hair is straight as that won't really start to show until they are 4-8 weeks old, they would probably be more like a Peruvian or Sheltie in that case.

Here is an old photo of mine that shows an example of the hair wave of the "curly" coat type guinea pig babies (left), compared to his smooth hair brother (right), and of course the proud fuzzy mother.
attachment.php
Nice they’re all smooth coated and 1 maybe 2 are created like mama

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.