Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Fancy's Medical Thread

Ok so I got Fancy ((5-6 months)) and Furby ((2 months)) a bit over 1 week ago and that day I checked their sexes and found out Furby who was supposed to be female was infact male while Fancy had been sexed correctly as a female so I immediately separated them and started her on pregnancy watch and scheduled them appointments at a vet well know for guinea pigs and they confirmed my sexing and then checked Fancy for pregnancy and could feel some hard/firm bumps in her uterus area and said they believe sheís pregnant and asked if I wanted an X-ray to try to see spines cause she might be far enough along and I agreed - we didnít see any spines yet but thereís 2 ovals that are clearly not gas each being about 3 cm long so far so theyíre pretty sure and Iím pretty sure that sheís got 2 babies in her and Iím assuming theyíre probably about 4 weeks along cause they donít have spines yet but are big enough for the possibility of spines -the vet did say I could come back in 2 weeks to get a follow up X-ray if I wanted to check for spines again Iím not sure yet if Iím gonna though

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Re: Accidentally pregnant female

I answered this on your other thread.

But I'm changing this thread to Fancy's medical thread. Please keep all medical or pregnancy related posts to this thread..

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Re: Accidentally pregnant female

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I answered this on your other thread.

But I'm changing this thread to Fancy's medical thread. Please keep all medical or pregnancy related posts to this thread..
    Ok and I didn’t even think about this one already being on the medical thread sorry

Thanks
    Thanks
    484 Rec'd/410 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Re: Fancy's Medical Thread

I personally wouldn't suggest going for the second x-ray. All it will do is confirm a number of pups, and with how young she is it that information doesn't really doesn't change anything.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    I personally wouldn't suggest going for the second x-ray. All it will do is confirm a number of pups, and with how young she is it that information doesn't really doesn't change anything.
    Ok thanks I’ll just keep weighing her like the vet said to
    I’m gonna be picking up some alfalfa hay this weekend other than that her diets pretty good 1 tablespoon pellets 1/8th bell pepper, some cilantro, a chunk of cucumber, and I’m probably gonna try some celery with her along with free feeding Timothy hay

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

I forgot to write down the weight the vet told me but I weighed Fancy in the 17th ((782 grams/1 lb 11.5 oz)) and then today the 25th 8 days later ((820 grams/1 lb 13 oz)) so she’s gained 38 grams/1.5 oz in 8 days
    shes been getting all the Timothy she wants, about a tablespoon of pellets and about a cup of veggies a day and this weekend I will be picking up a bag of alfalfa hay

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Shoot we got a really bad storm today and I’ve got both Fancy and Furby in separate cages but Furbys was just a large tote with no lid inside of the 12 sq foot dog playpen that Fancy was in and Furby musta got scared cause he hopped from the tub into the dog playpen and when I put him back in the tub and went to get the stuff to make a lid he hopped back out so now Fancy’s in the tote with a lid now and Furbys in the dog playpen and I zipped it up
    Fingers crossed that she was really already pregnant or my pregnancy watch will be continuing for even longer

I can not wait to be able to finish my c&c cages next weekend

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyLane94 View Post
    Shoot we got a really bad storm today and I’ve got both Fancy and Furby in separate cages but Furbys was just a large tote with no lid inside of the 12 sq foot dog playpen that Fancy was in and Furby musta got scared cause he hopped from the tub into the dog playpen and when I put him back in the tub and went to get the stuff to make a lid he hopped back out so now Fancy’s in the tote with a lid now and Furbys in the dog playpen and I zipped it up
    Fingers crossed that she was really already pregnant or my pregnancy watch will be continuing for even longer

I can not wait to be able to finish my c&c cages next weekend
    Sigh.. @PennyLane94...That is why you were told on a previous post about making your c&c cage to have a lid on your female's side of any cage if they were next to each other....take a look:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...-c-amp-c-grids

Your male will be very determined to get at the female and will climb over his own side to get to her. He will have difficulty getting at her if her side is covered.

Please tell me if you are using a plastic tub, to keep any guinea pig in temporarily, it is ventilated in some way and is big enough for them to be active.

I am glad you are making a c&c cage....just please heed the advice you are given.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post
    Sigh.. @PennyLane94...That is why you were told on a previous post about making your c&c cage to have a lid on your female's side of any cage if they were next to each other....take a look:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...-c-amp-c-grids

Your male will be very determined to get at the female and will climb over his own side to get to her. He will have difficulty getting at her if her side is covered.

Please tell me if you are using a plastic tub, to keep any guinea pig in temporarily, it is ventilated in some way and is big enough for them to be activ

I am glad you are making a c&c cage....just please heed the advice you are given.
    The plastic tub is 6 sq feet so smaller than minimum but larger than they were in together and my c&c cage is gonna have a lid on both halves and yes the tub has plenty of airflow

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Also I thought it would be ok for a bit cause the tub was 18 inches high sorry I was human and made a mistake

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Thought Iíd post one last thing on this thread that she had her 3 babies today and they look like 3 perfect baby potatoes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31F05124-E243-4075-A8B6-628CED92B89F.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	86236  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Adorable potatoes!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Adorable potatoes!
    Yeah im so glad they are all doing good so far

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Very cute! I am so glad things went well. Enjoy them!

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Congratulations!!! They're precious ❤️ and the one is even a harlequin pattern like mama... I'm so glad all are doing well and we got to see them!

16. "Thank you, MerryFriarTuck, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MerryFriarTuck View Post
    Congratulations!!! They're precious ❤️ and the one is even a harlequin pattern like mama... I'm so glad all are doing well and we got to see them!
    Thanks I’m hoping they’re shorthaired like mama instead of curly like the daddy

Thanks
    Thanks
    484 Rec'd/410 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

You should be able to tell right now if they will be Texel/Teddy/Rex coat types because even though their hair is still baby short they would still have a wave to their hair from the time they are born if they were any of those coat types.

However they could potentially still be long hairs even if their hair is straight as that won't really start to show until they are 4-8 weeks old, they would probably be more like a Peruvian or Sheltie in that case.

Here is an old photo of mine that shows an example of the hair wave of the "curly" coat type guinea pig babies (left), compared to his smooth hair brother (right), and of course the proud fuzzy mother.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    You should be able to tell right now if they will be Texel/Teddy/Rex coat types because even though their hair is still baby short they would still have a wave to their hair from the time they are born if they were any of those coat types.

However they could potentially still be long hairs even if their hair is straight as that won't really start to show until they are 4-8 weeks old, they would probably be more like a Peruvian or Sheltie in that case.

Here is an old photo of mine that shows an example of the hair wave of the "curly" coat type guinea pig babies (left), compared to his smooth hair brother (right), and of course the proud fuzzy mother.
    Nice they’re all smooth coated and 1 maybe 2 are created like mama

User Tag List