Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece which would be better?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I’m gonna be making fleece liners for a 3x6 c&c and I just wanna double check which would be better to use as the bottom layer? I’m thinking probably the mattress cover but wanted to double check

Attachments

3C243603-0370-440C-8366-6521A77F44E0.jpg 76E444D0-4F1A-429D-B196-421695FF76CD.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used mattress covers, but I got them for about $3 from a second hand store.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If this mattress protector is waterproof you will need an absorbent layer next to the fleece. Otherwise the fleece will be damp. I use washable incontinence pads under the fleece and they wash and dry well.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I used the material called Zorb. It can be used as a middle layer between 2 layers of fleece, OR, you can sew a spread that has a layer of fleece, Zorb under that, and PUL fabric under that. The PUL will keep moisture from going all through the spread (it will stay absorbed in the Zorb).

The moving blankets are cheaper than Zorb. But I thought I read that those who use the moving blankets don't sew them to the fleece but keep them separate so washing (and drying) is easier. I'm not sure about that though since I've never used the moving blankets.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I also use zorb as an absorbent material in my homemade fleece pads & liners. It works great and is easy to work with.

Cut 2 pieces of fleece and a piece of zorb all the same size. Stack them fleece, fleece, zorb. Sew on 3 sides, flip inside out (this puts the zorb in the middle), sew the last side.

I like using blizzard fleece because it seems to keep it's pile (cushy thickness) longer than antipill fleece after a lot of washing.

Just make sure if you use fleece you get it wicking properly. The wetness goes through the fleece to the absorbent material underneath rather than pooling on the top.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
They wash and dry quicker when the layers aren’t sewn together. Mine are separate as well.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
It depends on the material you use if not sewing is a possibility.

If you use zorb basic material, it MUST be sewn in between 2 layers of fabric. It will shred and fall apart in the wash otherwise.

The nice thing is, it absorbs 10 times it weight and dries faster than towels, uhaul or incontinence pads. (I have used all)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm quite interested in this discussion as I need to make new cage liners and accessories in the near future. I have always used blizzard fleece with a layer of uHaul pad sewn between the fleece. It is certainly an economical way to make liners, but eventually the middle layer of uHaul disintegrates and the fleece liner leaks. I am currently using the same sets of liners that I made eight years ago, but they are in tatters from use and washing with bleach.

I know nothing about Zorb but have seen more than one person refer to it. There appear to be several different types of Zorb and I'm wondering @Smileandnod what your experience has been? I checked out Amazon and Wazoodle today to get an idea of what is available. (broken link removed)

I presently have a 2x5 cage with a 2x2 loft and the 45" wide fabric seems ideal........but which one?

Feedback is most welcome!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I personally use the the zorb original with silvadur. I buy yards or full bolts directly from wazoodle when they have their sales.

(broken link removed)

The silvadur makes it antimicrobial, and resists odors. It comes in 60 inch width, as does many fleece fabrics, so waste isn't a problem. I just cut lengthwise a bit larger than half. The larger half side I use for large cage liners, the other is for potty pads. The material doesn't shrink, so the size stays the same even when using hot water.

I wish I could give you a long-term review. I have had mine for two years, the length of my guinea pig ownership, and they still work and look great. Potty pads I can even flip at least once before completely changing out.

I got the idea of zorb from people who make diapers and they last many years with several kids. So, my hope is they will last just as long with piggies.

It certainly is more expensive than uhaul pads, but for me it's easier to work with because it's thinner, easier to sew through and doesn't shrink.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I personally use the the zorb original with silvadur. I buy yards or full bolts directly from wazoodle when they have their sales.

(broken link removed)

The silvadur makes it antimicrobial, and resists odors. It comes in 60 inch width, as does many fleece fabrics, so waste isn't a problem. I just cut lengthwise a bit larger than half. The larger half side I use for large cage liners, the other is for potty pads. The material doesn't shrink, so the size stays the same even when using hot water.

I wish I could give you a long-term review. I have had mine for two years, the length of my guinea pig ownership, and they still work and look great. Potty pads I can even flip at least once before completely changing out.

I got the idea of zorb from people who make diapers and they last many years with several kids. So, my hope is they will last just as long with piggies.

It certainly is more expensive than uhaul pads, but for me it's easier to work with because it's thinner, easier to sew through and doesn't shrink.

Thanks I think I’ll go with Zorb cause even though it’s a bit more expensive than uhaul blankets I don’t have to worry about getting the wrong ones

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Hey would it be worth it to get the Zorb that already has the outer protector layers or just get the single layer Zorb and sew it to fleece?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
When choosing how to layer your Zorb, bear in mind what it's use will be or what you want it to do. If you are trying to keep the bottom of the cage dry (underneath the piggie bedspread) then you may want your bottom layer to be waterproof (like the PUL fabric). The PUL is used with the Zorb on those diapers that Smileandnod mentioned. It's the outside layer to keep baby's clothes dry.

I made some piggie things with fleece on top and bottom. Others with PUL on the bottom.

For instance, for lap pads, I used the PUL so the pee wouldn't go through and end up on my lap. ;) For potty pads inside the cage, I just used fleece top and bottom.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=21163]Gandalf[/MENTION], it really depends on what you are using the pad for.

I like the adaptability of the basic zorb. I can also use single or double layers based on my needs or as [MENTION=21163]Gandalf[/MENTION] stated use PUL or fleece on the underside.

To [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION], the one thing I forgot to mention about zorb is it is more flexible than uhaul, particularly 2 layer uhaul. So if you like that sturdy, stiff, thick feel of uhaul (which I do in some areas like ramp pads where they run up and down) the zorb won't give you that same feel because it is thinner. Hope that helps.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for the help

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
the one thing I forgot to mention about zorb is it is more flexible than uhaul, particularly 2 layer uhaul. So if you like that sturdy, stiff, thick feel of uhaul (which I do in some areas like ramp pads where they run up and down) the zorb won't give you that same feel because it is thinner. Hope that helps.

@Smileandnod, After looking at Wazoodle a bit more, I see that there are repeated references to a serger. I don't happen to have a serger and am wondering what you use? i'm presuming that it is recommended to do a sort of quilting pattern on the liners to keep them flat and neat? That has never been a problem with using uHaul pads and I only use one layer. My machine doesn't handle two layers of fleece plus two layers of uHaul.

The one thing that I like about the liners being heavier is that they don't move a great deal when you vacuum. What is your experience with regard to the ones made with Zorb? Also, for the same reason I like making my small pads with a uHaul center.

I somehow doubt that I would use PUL as I like making double-sided liners and turning them over mid-week to get more mileage out of them. I use incontinence pads between the liners and the cage and have been happy with that setup.

Thanks again for your help!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
@Smileandnod, After looking at Wazoodle a bit more, I see that there are repeated references to a serger. I don't happen to have a serger and am wondering what you use? i'm presuming that it is recommended to do a sort of quilting pattern on the liners to keep them flat and neat? That has never been a problem with using uHaul pads and I only use one layer. My machine doesn't handle two layers of fleece plus two layers of uHaul.

The one thing that I like about the liners being heavier is that they don't move a great deal when you vacuum. What is your experience with regard to the ones made with Zorb? Also, for the same reason I like making my small pads with a uHaul center.

I somehow doubt that I would use PUL as I like making double-sided liners and turning them over mid-week to get more mileage out of them. I use incontinence pads between the liners and the cage and have been happy with that setup.

Thanks again for your help!

I use a plain sewing machine, not a serger. Some people would rather just serge the materials together, so you can still see the layers at the edge. I don't like doing that because it frays eventually with a lot of washing and I don't like threads exposed to little pig toes either. I knew of a hedgehog, through my vet, who had to have a leg amputated due to a thread getting caught around it's leg, so now I'm super careful ...don't want that to happen to my little ones.

I actually found zorb because of the same problem of my machine not being able to go through 2 layers of uhaul. Zorb is thinner and a lot easier to sew through (it's similar to a polyester batting) so I can use 2 layers of fleece and 1 or 2 layers of zorb easily.

I make them just as I do with uhaul...layer, sew 3 sides, flip right side out and sew last side so absorbent material and thread is completely tucked inside. You can sew a line parallel to the outside edge, a couple inches inside, but I haven't found that necessary except on large liners.

With the zorb being thinner, there is definitely more movement when you vacuum than with uhaul liners and you sometimes get a bunching of the fleece that you don't get with a tight uhaul liner, which is annoying sometimes. That is why honestly, I still keep some uhaul liners for that heavy weight fabric feel. But I love that the zorb is more flexible in corners and for bed pads. So for me, both materials have their place in my cage.

I personally don't use PUL except on lap pads because I too like to flip the pad.

Some Pros of zorb:
*Easier to sew through multiple layers
*Highly absorbent
*Easier to wash (in my front loader) because more flexible and less dense
*Dries quicker
*No odor and antimicrobial with silvadur
*Softer, more flexible for liners inside beds, tunnels, ect.

Some Cons of zorb:
*Not as heavy as uhaul
*Liners don't lay as flat, especially for big liners
*More movement (because lighter) when vacuuming
*More expensive

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
WOW! Thank you for the very detailed response! :cool: It is always appreciated when one takes the time to answer questions in such detail. As a professor/teacher it is my style to respond that way and I appreciate it in others.

It sounds as though you sew your liners just as I do and finish them with a "border" sewn about 2-3" from the outside edge. As you have probably experienced, sometimes the uHaul middle will shrink over time which gives the liners a bunched appearance despite having preshrunk them prior to sewing. I think that I will probably order a limited amount of Zorb to see how I like it as I already have uHaul pads cut and waiting to be sewn.

I feel as though we have hijacked @PennyLane94's thread, but I don't feel too badly as I suspect that she may benefit from our discussion, as well as others who are exploring various materials to craft cage accessories. Appreciate your insight!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
WOW! Thank you for the very detailed response! :cool: It is always appreciated when one takes the time to answer questions in such detail. As a professor/teacher it is my style to respond that way and I appreciate it in others.

That's funny, I am also a teacher/professor....nice to meet a like minded individual.

I just hoped to give you the same detailed response as you gave me when I got my male neutered. You were very helpful (you offered a lot of knowledge and reassurance...thank you!) and it was much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.