Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Large lid ideas for a DIY cage?

If I decide to combine all of my guinea pigs in the future (5 females total) I would need to make a large cage to fit them all. I have a few GuineaDad fleece liners for my MidWest cage already, so I'm thinking of making the cage 4 x 8 ft and use the liners in half of the cage. My biggest concern (cage wise) is having a lid, since I have cats. The cats have shown no interest in the pigs (luckily) but if they see a big open big I am sure they would try and lay in it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to construct a huge lid for this? Maybe even using the lids I have already for the MidWest cages?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Re: Large lid ideas for a DIY cage?

I use the support bars and different size rods found at the cage store to support my lids made of grids. I also use the smaller rods as a hinge. I modify the ideas to fit my needs. Click the tab at the top of this forum for the cage store.

There are also some great ideas from pictures on the forum.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,158 Rec'd/5,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3727 Post(s)

Re: Large lid ideas for a DIY cage?

Closet shelving makes an awesome lid. Doesn't need any extra support, comes in different depths, can be cut to any length, will hold large dogs, even people if the bottom of the cage is put together well enough.

User Tag List