Thread: Has anyone else combined a bonded pair of females with a bonded 3 females?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Has anyone else combined a bonded pair of females with a bonded 3 females?

I currently have 5 guinea pigs, all females. I have 3 pigs in one cage, and then adopted a pair of bonded pigs that are in another cage.

Does anyone have experience introducing so many guinea pigs together? I've bonded guinea pigs together before, but the idea of introducing all of them together makes me a little anxious. I'm not planning on doing this any time soon since I still need to save up money to make a large cage for all of them, but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips or tricks to help.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Re: Has anyone else combined a bonded pair of females with a bonded 3 females?

You do it just like you'd do regular introductions, but in a huge neutral space when you've got LOTS and LOTS of time to give to it. Don't rush it. The last time I introduced a pair to a singleton, it was 11 hours before I felt comfortable going to bed and leaving them.

In the meantime, you might try the trick of swapping things out between the cages -- pieces of fleece, hideys, etc. It'll give them a chance to get used to the other scents, and might (repeat, might)​ make things go easier.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Thank you!

When I introduce them, I was thinking it could be in their brand new, larger cage. Would that be an okay intro place? My plans are to make the cage 4 ft x 8 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You do it just like you'd do regular introductions, but in a huge neutral space when you've got LOTS and LOTS of time to give to it. Don't rush it. The last time I introduced a pair to a singleton, it was 11 hours before I felt comfortable going to bed and leaving them.

In the meantime, you might try the trick of swapping things out between the cages -- pieces of fleece, hideys, etc. It'll give them a chance to get used to the other scents, and might (repeat, might)​ make things go easier.

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

I introduced a group of 4 females to a group of 5 once. It was nerve racking, but it worked. It took hours.

As @bpatters said, be prepared to take A LOT of time. You can't rush introductions.

I would use a large neutral space, that way there are no beds, hideys, tunnels, ect. No one can claim a space and create problems. There are no lingering smells on fleece or grids.

Be prepared with a towel to break up fights bad enough to draw blood. Don't use your bare hands. (Hopefully this will not occur, but you should be prepared) Have another person on the other side of the big space to assist if necessary.

Also be prepared for a lot of urine spray as you plan your space.

I put a couple piles of hay and several water bottles as well spaced out in the space (which took up by entire living room ...I just used 3 sets of playpen grids to keep them contained). That way no one is guarding or fighting over any one.

Be prepared for a shift in relationships as the hierarchy is established.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Definitely don't use the cage as an introduction area. The area needs to be much bigger, and have plenty of piles of food and water bottles and nothing else in it.

See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

User Tag List