Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is my guinea pig sneezing or expelling air?

PureElla

Cavy Slave
Since I got my piggy, Bobby, he has been doing this weird sounds while eating his hay/pellets. it's almost like he's just letting out some air through his nose. I am very paranoid, so is this something that I have to worry about? Also, while I was feeding him his veggies, right before he bites it, he does that air thing. I don't know if this is some type of sneeze, or if he just does this. Help please.

ALSO, second small question: I'm pretty sure Bobby, is an american Short Hair piggy, so anything about grooming? I saw this tiny grooming set in the store, and I don't know if he will ever need it. Should I get it?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
You will definitely need:

*a soft brush (a cheap baby brush works well)

*small nail clippers for small pets/cats (they look like small scissors with a different cutting blade)

You need to trim their nails regularly so they don't grow too long.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your indicators that he's doing ok are a stable weight, regular peeing and pooping, and normal activity. Short of an injury, skin condition, or obvious illness, you can usually watch anything odd that's going on and see whether it's something to worry about.

PureElla

Cavy Slave
Bobby is eating his pellets and hay daily, with fruits and veggies. He is pooping and peeing on a regular basis. There is no problems with his skin, but he does itch once a day, like a scratch or 2, which isn't a big problem.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Get a kitchen scale to weigh Bobby regularly. You can get one for around $10. This is very important to monitor his health.

Make a notebook just for his health & medical info: weights, medicines, vet visits, ect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.