Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popcorning Extreme Popcorning or something else?

PureElla

Cavy Slave
I got my piggy on July 13, 2019 and the store helper said he was about 2-3 months old. I have read that younger piggies are more active that older ones and like to popcorn. bobby is my first piggy, and I have had him for 3 days. He is getting really used to me, as he knows the sound for his veggies/hay. and whenever I'm playing on my computer or laying in bed, I can hear Bobby running around like crazy. And its out of no where, with no spooky sounds. like he randomly was eating, goes inside to his hideaway and 3 minutes later, hes running around.:crazy: and I don't know much about piggies and I'm learning, but is this normal? he is healthy and eats his pellets and hay, and drinks his water daily. He has toys and a paper ball to entertain him (he uses both). please, some advice.

-Ella

PureElla

Cavy Slave
^ To add on, he let's me pet him and he only runs away when I walk past, which ppl say is normal. Also, he allows me to be near him while he plays, eats, or drinks.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum PureElla!

Running around the cage on his own is normal, he's doing what's called "zoomies". As he is zooming around the cage at top speed. It means he's happy.

Popcorning is when they do a little jump, like popcorn popping.

This is another reason it is recommended to give them a large cage, it's not only healthy for them, it is also very entertaining to watch a guinea pig zooming and popcorning about.

Yes, generally younger pigs are more active than older pigs, so be careful when getting him out of the cage and hold him gently, but firmly, with both hands...they are known to scramble or jump quickly.

You'll get the hang of it, just be patient with him.

PureElla

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you so much!

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you so much!

Definitely normal behavior. And welcome to the piggy world lol. Ive had my first piggy a bit over 2 years and i just got to say there is alot to learn and alot to experience as a first time piggy owner. This fourm has been my go to for the last 2 and a half years and they are very great about timely responses and very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.