Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Amazon c&c grids

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I’m so originally I was planning on doing a cage made out of wood but I might do a c&c up on a homemade table instead but I can’t find the size of the holes of these grids I’m looking at but the grids are like 12 inches x12 inches and have 7 holes x7 holes would the holes be small enough or should I keep looking? I’m gonna be building a really large cage ((3x8 ft or 4x6 ft)) and want to do it right

I’ve also found one with metal mesh if that would work better?

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what the grids with mesh are. But you want grids with 9X9 holes. The holes in the 7X7 grids are big enough that a pig can get his head trapped in them.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what the grids with mesh are. But you want grids with 9X9 holes. The holes in the 7X7 grids are big enough that a pig can get his head trapped in them.

Ill probably go with the mesh ones then cause they look like this 60EA6A96-2809-4B91-BFB4-01A6A8BD7E2B.jpg

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Also which the Coroplast can you get it in smaller pieces and like glue or silicone the pieces together?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind with those mesh grids you will probably need to alter them somehow to be able to attach a water bottle.

Generally when connecting pieces of coroplast we use tape, but you need to ensure your guinea pigs can't reach the tape or they will eat it. I can't see an issue with silicone other than drying time and keeping it together until it dries (and once again ensuring there aren't any blobs of silicone sticking out that they could eat). I know many people just tape the outside so there is no tape on the inside at all, if you think this might cause issues perhaps taping the outside and using silicone in the seam between pieces would work?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind with those mesh grids you will probably need to alter them somehow to be able to attach a water bottle.

Generally when connecting pieces of coroplast we use tape, but you need to ensure your guinea pigs can't reach the tape or they will eat it. I can't see an issue with silicone other than drying time and keeping it together until it dries (and once again ensuring there aren't any blobs of silicone sticking out that they could eat). I know many people just tape the outside so there is no tape on the inside at all, if you think this might cause issues perhaps taping the outside and using silicone in the seam between pieces would work?

Ok thanks it shouldn’t be too hard for the water bottle cause I’ve hooked a water bottle to smaller mesh before and I’ll try the tape and silicone cause the biggest piece I’d probably be able to fit in my moms vehicle would be like 4x4 feet so I’d need like 3 that size and a tube of silicone

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Coroplast can be rolled, so you can fit a 4x8 piece in anything other than a compact car.

Most people avoid completely cutting coroplast where possible. You can just one side of the "tunnels" and fold the coroplast at that point.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Your best bet when working with Coroplast is to use a high-temperature glue gun. I find it invaluable for all sorts of projects and none more so than cage construction. The glue dries very quickly and is wonderful for filling in mistakes or cuts in the Coroplast. Just be sure NOT to touch the Coro with the tip of the gun as it will melt it. Put the tip close to the seam that you wish to join and drop the hot glue into the area.

One can buy a high-temperature glue gun (plus glue sticks) at JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, or often even at a Home Depot.

Also, there is a little device called a "Coro Claw" that I find invaluable when working with Coroplast. It will cut the coro along the length of the "ribs or flutes" of the Coro, but you will still need to use a box cutter to cut across (transversely) the ribs. You can buy it online.

Coro claw.jpg

Last edited:

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
If you are buying from Amazon, I successfully used "Whitmor Storage cubes". Make sure they have 9x9 holes. I also got many supplies from the cage store from this site including cage kits that I just had to quickly & easily assemble.

I would definitely get a solid piece of coroplast for the bottom. Makes a world of difference for cleaning.

Don't forget the zip ties (cable ties) to reinforce the grids.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Coroplast can be rolled, so you can fit a 4x8 piece in anything other than a compact car.

Most people avoid completely cutting coroplast where possible. You can just one side of the "tunnels" and fold the coroplast at that point.
Thanks atleast that way I’d only have to glue on the sides since my cage is gonna be 4x8 feet

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Your best bet when working with Coroplast is to use a high-temperature glue gun. I find it invaluable for all sorts of projects and none more so than cage construction. The glue dries very quickly and is wonderful for filling in mistakes or cuts in the Coroplast. Just be sure NOT to touch the Coro with the tip of the gun as it will melt it. Put the tip close to the seam that you wish to join and drop the hot glue into the area.

One can buy a high-temperature glue gun (plus glue sticks) at JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, or often even at a Home Depot.

Also, there is a little device called a "Coro Claw" that I find invaluable when working with Coroplast. It will cut the coro along the length of the "ribs or flutes" of the Coro, but you will still need to use a box cutter to cut across (transversely) the ribs. You can buy it online.

View attachment 86091
thanks I probably already have a high temp glue gun so I’ll just use that to glue the edges on to the big piece

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thanks atleast that way I’d only have to glue on the sides since my cage is gonna be 4x8 feet

Are you making two that size? Or dividing it up for your male and female?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
If you are buying from Amazon, I successfully used "Whitmor Storage cubes". Make sure they have 9x9 holes. I also got many supplies from the cage store from this site including cage kits that I just had to quickly & easily assemble.

I would definitely get a solid piece of coroplast for the bottom. Makes a world of difference for cleaning.

Don't forget the zip ties (cable ties) to reinforce the grids.
Thanks yeah I’ve got 2 of these really nice wire mesh storage cube sets in my cart on amazon and I’ve got zip ties in my cart too

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Are you making two that size? Or dividing it up for your male and female?

Im gonna divide it up until he’s been neutered for the six weeks

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thanks yeah I’ve got 2 of these really nice wire mesh storage cube sets in my cart on amazon and I’ve got zip ties in my cart too

Look to see the dimensions of individual grids, not the dimensions of the entire assembled storage unit (which is often the most prominent dimensions listed)...some of these mesh grids are not as wide or tall as regular grids. The ones I have seen on Amazon are oftentimes between 9-11inches, whereas a regular grids is 14". Look closely within the product description or Q&A to find this specific info.

Also make sure you get enough grids to make a secure lid for your female's side if you plan on building one cage and dividing it, or have cages side by side. Your male with climb over to get her and it will be especially easy for him with shorter grids.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Look to see the dimensions of individual grids, not the dimensions of the entire assembled storage unit (which is often the most prominent dimensions listed)...some of these mesh grids are not as wide or tall as regular grids. The ones I have seen on Amazon are oftentimes between 9-11inches, whereas a regular grids is 14". Look closely within the product description or Q&A to find this specific info.

Also make sure you get enough grids to make a secure lid for your female's side if you plan on building one cage and dividing it, or have cages side by side. Your male with climb over to get her and it will be especially easy for him with shorter grids.
Yeah they are only like 12 inches high but I already planned on making a lid for each side and probably doing the cages 2 squares high eventually

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
Can you post the link to the metal mesh ones? I wanna check them out:)

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Can you post the link to the metal mesh ones? I wanna check them out:)

SONGMICS 9-Cube Metal Mesh Storage Cube, Storage Shelves Organizer, Modular Bookcase, DIY Closet Cabinet Shelf for Books, Plant, Toys, Shoes, Clothes 36.6"L x 12.2"W x 48.4"H, Black ULPL115H (broken link removed)

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Quick question about the chloroplast does it need to go up the sides or could it just cover the bottom?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
the sides keeps turds and pee from escaping. Somehow they get pee on the walls of the Coroplast so I would definitely recommend it.
Oh and if you’re in the US, Home Depot sells huge coroplast sheets.
So if I can find a sheet bigger than 4x8 like 5x9 I should get it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.