Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fleece or wood shavings?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Fleece or wood shavings?

    Ok so Iíve got 2 guinea pigs and Iím going to be building a larger cage for them so I can eventually add more pigs but right now the two I have are a Merino and a crested
    fleece looks nicer except for all the poop and doesnít get stuck in the merinos hair but Wood shavings seem to hide the poop and smell but get stuck in the curly hair Iíve also got care fresh I havenít tryed yet but I have a feeling it will also get stuck
    is it better to use the fleece or loose bedding? And are there any good cheap handheld vacuums that are good to clean up poops?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks
    76
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyLane94 View Post
    And are there any good cheap handheld vacuums that are good to clean up poops?
    The short answer is "no". When it comes to a handheld vac, you absolutely get what you pay for. The one I use isn't cheap, but it has all the requisite features for a vac that will last and that you will be happy with. I tried several different vacs before settling on the current model (details to follow).

    No matter what vac you choose, be sure to pay attention to the type of connection from the vac to the charger. If it is flimsy, the vac will malfunction in no time. Also, you need to empty the vacuum after each use or it will smell badly in no time. When I do my weekly cage cleaning, I also wash all the parts of the vac that aren't directly involved with the base and the electrical activity.

    I use a B&D Hand Vacuum that I purchased at BBB with a 20% off coupon.

    Name:  BD 20v cordless vac.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  23.4 KB

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 15, 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyLane94 View Post
    is it better to use the fleece or loose bedding?
    Hello!

    My experience is that fleece, although it takes more effort to clean in certain aspects, promotes more outward displays of happiness in my pigs. I have an american long hair, crested, and an abyssinian, and while the abyssinian definitely does get a little dirtier due to the fact that there isn't quite anywhere for the mess to go aside from on top of the fleece, I find that it allows them to be far more comfortable in their cage. If you have wooden bedding you also have to be careful about sharp pieces that could cause injuries to piggie feet.

    I have a 2X3 C&C and I put one layer of towels under a layer of fleece (2 towels and 2 fleece in total) and I change those out every other day. I shake the fleece out into a trash bag instead of vacuuming and I clean the cage itself with a dawn liquid soap and water mixture. I find that this keeps the odor away and keeps it from getting too trashy. Sometimes I'll clean it every day if they make a mess of their hay or decide to poop everywhere

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Smileandnod's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 12, 2018
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    34
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/62 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    I personally use fleece in the main part of the cage. I vaccum poops twice a day and change out small pads daily (sometimes twice a day) if they feel moist (particularly in area they use a lot...end of ramps, beds, corners)

    In their kitchens I use either carefresh which lasts a few days or fleece pads I have to change daily.

    I have bought some fleece cage liners and made a lot using blizzard fleece (I like that it keeps it's pile longer than antipill) and zorb (material used as absorbant layer) sewn in the middle. Just make sure the fleece is wicking properly.

    I use a Black and Decker hand held vacuum that is rechargable. It is cheap (about $20 at Target or Amazon) but it works great. I also use a small handheld broom and dust pan for getting stubborn hay from the fleece. You don't want that going in your washer because it will clog it.

    If you use fleece liners, have extras you can change out quickly for cage cleanings and be prepared for doing extra laundry.

    What kind of wood shavings are you using?

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smileandnod View Post
    I personally use fleece in the main part of the cage. I vaccum poops twice a day and change out small pads daily (sometimes twice a day) if they feel moist (particularly in area they use a lot...end of ramps, beds, corners)

    In their kitchens I use either carefresh which lasts a few days or fleece pads I have to change daily.

    I have bought some fleece cage liners and made a lot using blizzard fleece (I like that it keeps it's pile longer than antipill) and zorb (material used as absorbant layer) sewn in the middle. Just make sure the fleece is wicking properly.

    I use a Black and Decker hand held vacuum that is rechargable. It is cheap (about $20 at Target or Amazon) but it works great. I also use a small handheld broom and dust pan for getting stubborn hay from the fleece. You don't want that going in your washer because it will clog it.

    If you use fleece liners, have extras you can change out quickly for cage cleanings and be prepared for doing extra laundry.

    What kind of wood shavings are you using?
    Right now I’m using fleece cause they came with wood shavings that I have no clue what they are and I will probably just do the fleece liners and vacuum the poop up regularly cause I want my piggies to be happy and I don’t like the shavings getting stuck in Furbys hair

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,103
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    The thing that would make it easiest to manage Furby's problem is a good haircut.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave LemonySnickers's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 17, 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    I use fleece also, and I honestly can't imagine switching back to paper bedding. I spot clean once a day, which keeps the cage looking very fresh and nice. It is way cheaper than paper or wood bedding also, since you can use the same fleece for years. I'm a huge fan of it and Snickers (my GP) gets excited when I clean his cage and every once in a while does zoomies.

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The thing that would make it easiest to manage Furby's problem is a good haircut.
    His hairs not super long it’s just really curly and coarse

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,669
    Thanks
    76
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1179 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    You really should consider giving Furby a haircut, especially during the summer. Check out this thread and the post that I made thereon:

    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...t=#post1012092

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave sallyvh's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 23, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,452
    Thanks
    89
    Thanks
    520 Rec'd/418 Posts
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    I have several long hair pigs of different breeds (Silkie, Peruvian, Texel, Lunkarya) and use fleece with all of my guys.

    I use fleece liners (2 layers of uhaul sewn between fleece on either side), then 2 of my cages have kitchen inserts with aspen shavings while the others just have hay piles on top of a smaller liner. I sweep their cages once a day by vacuuming poops and using a hand held broom/dust pan. I use the same vacuum as @spy9doc and have been very happy with it over the 2 years I've had it. Then do full cage cleans every 6-7 days. Plus I have smaller 1x1 and 1x2 liners in high traffic areas that I can clean out during the week as necessary.

    I definitely prefer fleece for the long haired guys. It reduces how often I have to pick bits of stuff out of their coats. Plus, I think they prefer it. It's comfy and they have all kinds of beds and snuggly items. It's just important to put in the work to keep it clean, otherwise your pigs will constantly be standing in their filth.

    Also, if you have a merino I would strongly suggest getting a pair of electric clippers and a good pair of hair trimming scissors. I don't often give my guys full body cuts, but every long haired pig gets a bum trim every 4-6 weeks. It helps keep them much cleaner and is more sanitary. His hair may not be super long yet, but it will get long!

  11. #11
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    You really should consider giving Furby a haircut, especially during the summer. Check out this thread and the post that I made thereon:

    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...t=#post1012092
    My room is controlled at a constant 70f

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or wood shavings?

    Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    I have several long hair pigs of different breeds (Silkie, Peruvian, Texel, Lunkarya) and use fleece with all of my guys.

    I use fleece liners (2 layers of uhaul sewn between fleece on either side), then 2 of my cages have kitchen inserts with aspen shavings while the others just have hay piles on top of a smaller liner. I sweep their cages once a day by vacuuming poops and using a hand held broom/dust pan. I use the same vacuum as @spy9doc and have been very happy with it over the 2 years I've had it. Then do full cage cleans every 6-7 days. Plus I have smaller 1x1 and 1x2 liners in high traffic areas that I can clean out during the week as necessary.

    I definitely prefer fleece for the long haired guys. It reduces how often I have to pick bits of stuff out of their coats. Plus, I think they prefer it. It's comfy and they have all kinds of beds and snuggly items. It's just important to put in the work to keep it clean, otherwise your pigs will constantly be standing in their filth.

    Also, if you have a merino I would strongly suggest getting a pair of electric clippers and a good pair of hair trimming scissors. I don't often give my guys full body cuts, but every long haired pig gets a bum trim every 4-6 weeks. It helps keep them much cleaner and is more sanitary. His hair may not be super long yet, but it will get long!
    Ok thanks it’ll definitely be a while before I’m comfortable going near him with scissors or clippers yet cause he’s so skittish but luckily I used to be a dog groomer so ive got clippers and scissors and yeah I’m gonna stick with the fleece and get a cheap hand vac plus it shouldn’t be so bad once they’re in their bigger cages

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •