Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay How to tell the difference between hays?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
How to tell the difference between hays? The guinea pigs I just got game with hay in a big tote but there’s no label saying what type it is

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
You should ask where you got them from. That would be the best thing. There are many different types and cuts of hay varieties.

For Timothy:
1st cut Timothy is mostly thin, pokey stems with lots of seed heads. High in fiber.

2nd cut Timothy: some seed heads, some leafy green (between 1st and 3rd cut). Great for multiple pigs

3rd cut Timothy: soft and leafy

Then there is orchard hay, oat hay, blue grass, brome hay, alfalfa (that you don't want to feed exclusively to adult pigs)....

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Also they need unlimited, good quality hay at all times.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
You should ask where you got them from. That would be the best thing. There are many different types and cuts of hay varieties.

For Timothy:
1st cut Timothy is mostly thin, pokey stems with lots of seed heads. High in fiber.

2nd cut Timothy: some seed heads, some leafy green (between 1st and 3rd cut). Great for multiple pigs

3rd cut Timothy: soft and leafy

Then there is orchard hay, oat hay, blue grass, brome hay, alfalfa (that you don't want to feed exclusively to adult pigs)....

Ill ask them cause I’m just trying to make sure it’s not alfalfa even though my girls are 2 and 5-6 months old

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Nice I just asked and I’ll be set on Timothy for a while

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.