Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reintroducing cage mate to new mother

My pig melvin delivered 4 pups 4 days ago, i had separated her cagemate binx because she was acting as though she was bothering melvin close to her delivery. I am now wondering when the best time to reintroduce the two pigs would be? And if i could do it while the babies are still less than 3 weeks of age

Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: Reintroducing cage mate to new mother

My very docile and sweet mom, Goldie (who was pregnant already when I adopted her), and who is at the bottom of the pecking order now, was surprisingly super aggressive towards other pigs while she was pregnant and during the first weeks of nursing. She would charge at anyone and bite, drawing blood including anyone who was unlucky enough to even be sticking their face through the bars. She only accepted her older daughter who was adopted with her.

Introductions went great after the babies were almost 3 weeks, but I am sure if they have a history together it could be done before then. It all depends on the personality of the pigs and their relationship.

I am also hoping her cage mate, Binx, is definitely a female (?)

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,140 Rec'd/5,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3710 Post(s)

Re: Reintroducing cage mate to new mother

Since you've separated them, which probably wasn't necessary, you should wait until after the pups are weaned to reintroduce them.

User Tag List