Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage size for 5 piggies

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Would a 24sq foot cage be big enough for 5 female guinea pigs? 6 guinea pigs? I’m gonna be getting 2 tomorrow and I’m going to be building a bigger cage soon to house atleast 5 since a coworker has 3 that she’s allergic to but doesn’t want to take them to a shelter

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it would be large enough.

Can you afford vet care for that many pigs?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
If you are new to guinea pigs you should probably see how you get along with the first two before you commit to more, especially if you are not quite prepared for the housing.

Vet care, proper food, bedding, and proper care are going to take time and money.

What size and type of housing did you decide on for the first 2?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Right now they will be in a big mesh dog playpen but soon I’m gonna build a 8 ft x3ft enclosure

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I guess I am really confused ...

I thought you were adamantly against building a c&c cage because you didn't feel it was safe enough for your pigs with the other animals in your house?? ...that is why you insisted on a wood structure.

If you have other pets that make you concerned for your pigs in a c&c cage, a mesh dog playpen is not suitable at all. It can be collapsed by a pet jumping on it or simply pawing at it.

You should prepare them with safe housing that can be cleaned properly. A mesh enclosure I guess could be ok for a day or two under close supervision, but I would not leave them in there for longer than that.

I am sorry but I certainly don't think it's appropriate to take on more when you are not properly prepared for the 2 you just got.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
I guess I am really confused ...

I thought you were adamantly against building a c&c cage because you didn't feel it was safe enough for your pigs with the other animals in your house?? ...that is why you insisted on a wood structure.

If you have other pets that make you concerned for your pigs in a c&c cage, a mesh dog playpen is not suitable at all. It can be collapsed by a pet jumping on it or simply pawing at it.

You should prepare them with safe housing that can be cleaned properly. A mesh enclosure I guess could be ok for a day or two under close supervision, but I would not leave them in there for longer than that.

I am sorry but I certainly don't think it's appropriate to take on more when you are not properly prepared for the 2 you just got.

I don’t plan to take on more until I get the big cage built and I do t let other animals in my room but want to be able to eventually

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.