Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed are my new girls?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Uhhh yeah, ditto what [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said. 24 pigs for sale is a breeder. That's not even in over her head. They aim for large numbers because large numbers of babies = more money.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Uhhh yeah, ditto what @bpatters said. 24 pigs for sale is a breeder. That's not even in over her head. They aim for large numbers because large numbers of babies = more money.
She sold every single guinea pig she had though not just babies and 2 were piggies that she had just got from a person who she ended up giving them back to

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Okay, so maybe she's an ex-breeder.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Maybe you would think a breeder would know how to sex a guinea pig though lol

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Here’s a better picture of the girls back to help with coloring

Attachments

2605F624-44F0-4135-87A3-4DBB0384CCD1.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Here’s a better picture of the girls back to help with coloring[/QUOTE

Her colours are slate and pink-eyed white! And I think she's a harlequin pattern... maybe not a *perfect* harlequin but very close! She's a pretty piggie :)

Last edited:

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave

Her colours are slate and white! And I think she's a harlequin pattern... maybe not a perfect harlequin but very close! She's a pretty piggie :)
Thanks I’ve got my fingers crossed so much that she’s not pregnant but she’s kinda pear shaped ((my brain may be seeing things that aren’t there)) and 782 grams at 5-6 months old

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I wish you and her the best of luck! I don't personally have any experience with pregnant guinea pigs, but I know a lot of people here do. I believe anywhere between 700-900 grams is normal for an adult female guinea pig...is it possible she's older than 5/6 months? An age by size chart I have is:

Birth--- 3-4 inches
8 weeks--- 6-8 inches
16 weeks--- 8-10 inches
14 months (when guinea pigs finish growing)--- 8-12 inches

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
700-900 grams is WAY low for normal sow weight. They come from old textbooks based on lab animals, not pets. Every sow I had weighed just under or over 1300 grams, and both I and the vet thought they were normal weight.

In case of illness, it helps a pig have a little extra cushion to maintain strength.

[MENTION=44053]PennyLane94[/MENTION], see https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she if you think she may be pregnant.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I've never had sows so I didn't know. I'll be more careful with where I found the info next time

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave

Her colours are slate and pink-eyed white! And I think she's a harlequin pattern... maybe not a *perfect* harlequin but very close! She's a pretty piggie :)
That explains the reddish rink to her eyes in certain lighting

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That explains the reddish rink to her eyes in certain lighting

Oh, then maybe just white and not pink-eyed white...pink- eyed white eyes are very pink, like an albino. There is a pink that's just a guinea pig eye color that sounds like hers--- they look basically brown but turn a pinkish/reddish color when the light hits them. My Friar Tuck has those color eyes :)

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Oh, then maybe just white and not pink-eyed white...pink- eyed white eyes are very pink, like an albino. There is a pink that's just a guinea pig eye color that sounds like hers--- they look basically brown but turn a pinkish/reddish color when the light hits them. My Friar Tuck has those color eyes :)
That’s what my girls eyes do they’re a super pretty brown until the light hits just right

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ruby eyes are the dark red colour. :)

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Just thought I’d let everyone know I was just to the vet and Furby is definitely male and Fancy has 2 oval shaped things in her uterus area ((they did an X-ray)) but she’s not quite far enough along to see spines they said I can come back in a week or two if I want though and I might go back in 2 weeks to see

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then separate them NOW. Guinea pig sows can get pregnant immediately after giving birth, and that's very hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. This can happen even if she has a miscarriage, and you don't want to risk losing her or the next litter if that happens.

Except for curiosity, there's really no need for more x-rays. She's either pregnant or she's not, and there's nothing different to be done if she is. This will tell you how to estimate when the pups are coming: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Then separate them NOW. Guinea pig sows can get pregnant immediately after giving birth, and that's very hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. This can happen even if she has a miscarriage, and you don't want to risk losing her or the next litter if that happens.

Except for curiosity, there's really no need for more x-rays. She's either pregnant or she's not, and there's nothing different to be done if she is. This will tell you how to estimate when the pups are coming: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she
Theyve been separated since the day I got them and realized Furby was a more than likely a male instead of a female like I’d been told

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good for you!

Desscott95

Cavy Slave
We just adopted a Guinea pig unaware she was pregnant. She has her babies a week ago today. I’m trying to guess the gender any ideas?
Baby (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.