Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What breed are my new girls?

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
The black one is 2 months old and the brown one is 5-6 months old
I’m just curious as to what they may be and what there colors would be called I can get better photos tomorrow after I pick them up

Attachments

F5265330-22FD-4056-89C7-AB9406337E7A.jpg 38360D4A-3B5C-4F11-B489-0F7EB1B78684.jpg

MommaMel

Cavy Slave
The first piggy looks like a black texel, and the second a brindle (color) American short haired pig. I could be wrong but those are my best guesses based on the photos! Beautiful pigs no matter what though!!!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The black one is 2 months old and the brown one is 5-6 months old
I’m just curious as to what they may be and what there colors would be called I can get better photos tomorrow after I pick them up

I love yhr

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I love yhr

Sorry, typo, ugh! ��

I love them!!! Such beautiful unique girls.
I'm 99% sure the little black is a Merino! Texels and Alpacas are also curly but have long fur; her short haired wooliness looks Merino. Since she's already 2 months I think it'd be longer by now if she was texel or alpaca. Merinos require brushing but they're so adorable it's so worth it! ;) I've heard their fur is supposed to be super soft ❤️
Little lady number two is an American short haired. Her colours are slate and white with a harlequin pattern! I have a little boy named Robin Hood who's also a harlequin, except buff/cinnamon and chocolate :) Brindles and harlequins are very similar, but brindle is an even, unbroken pattern across the entire coat, whilst harlequin is a merle of brindle patches.
I'm a complete guinea pig nerd when it comes to breeds/colors/patterns... seeing your girls was a lot of fun! :)

P.s. now I'm thinking lady number two is a bit brown to be slate... I'd have to see another pic of her...

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Sorry, typo, ugh! ��

I love them!!! Such beautiful unique girls.
I'm 99% sure the little black is a Merino! Texels and Alpacas are also curly but have long fur; her short haired wooliness looks Merino. Since she's already 2 months I think it'd be longer by now if she was texel or alpaca. Merinos require brushing but they're so adorable it's so worth it! ;) I've heard their fur is supposed to be super soft ❤️
Little lady number two is an American short haired. Her colours are slate and white with a harlequin pattern! I have a little boy named Robin Hood who's also a harlequin, except buff/cinnamon and chocolate :) Brindles and harlequins are very similar, but brindle is an even, unbroken pattern across the entire coat, whilst harlequin is a merle of brindle patches.
I'm a complete guinea pig nerd when it comes to breeds/colors/patterns... seeing your girls was a lot of fun! :)

P.s. now I'm thinking lady number two is a bit brown to be slate... I'd have to see another pic of her...

Thanks I’m waiting right now to pick them up but I’ll definitely post more pictures once I have them

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
They are adorable.

Look forward to seeing more pictures.

I would also love to see pictures of the housing you decided to create for them.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Here’s their temporary home and I’m now worried the black one might be male

Attachments

image.jpg

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
What do you think? Male or female? I’ve got my fingers crossed for female cause the other is clearly female

Attachments

image.jpg FB0D240E-CAAE-4FB7-BD93-2E4B06BDB9A8.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Separate them immediately until you're sure!

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Separate them immediately until you're sure!
Ok I’ll set up the small cage they came with and catch the black one and put it back in the cage

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
The white one looks like a girl and the black one may indeed be a boy, it appears like the whitish nub in the picture is a penis. It's difficult for me to be sure from the picture (can you post another picture?)

If the black guinea pig is a male, above the penis, if you gently rub, you should feel like a bony structure. With some gentle pressure and coaxing you can extrude the penis. Then you know, without a doubt, you have a boy.

If there is any doubt or if the black pig is indeed a male you need to separate them immediately. They can mate within seconds even under a watchful eye.

Pregnancy is very difficult on guinea pigs. It can even result in death for Mom and/or babies, as I know first hand from experience of one of mine who was already pregnant when I adopted her. I never want to go through that again and that is why I got my only male neutered.

You can separate them and get their initial checkup (which you should get anyway) from your cavy savvy vet (an exotics vet who cares for guinea pigs). The vet will be able to sex them for you and show you how. Or before an appointment you can call a local shelter or rescue who has someone on staff who is knowledgeable in guinea pigs (they can usually sex them for free). Don't waste your time at pet stores, they are usually wrong and not very knowledgeable despite seeming to be.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Theyve been separated and I’m 99% sure the black one is male I feel bad now though cause I’ve got 2 separate piggies now

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
He’s so much more skittish than she is

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Theyve been separated and I’m 99% sure the black one is male I feel bad now though cause I’ve got 2 separate piggies now

You did the right thing by separating them and keeping them separated.

Can you contact who you got them from and exchange one gender for another? That way you have 2 of the same gender. Now that you're more familiar with identifying genders, you can check them before bringing them home.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
He’s so much more skittish than she is

How old is he? Is he the one that supposed to be 2 months?

If he is very young he will be much more skittish. So be careful when handling him because young pigs are quicker to dart or jump out of your hands. Pigs generally chill out as they get older. Just be patient.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
You did the right thing by separating them and keeping them separated.

Can you contact who you got them from and exchange one gender for another? That way you have 2 of the same gender. Now that you're more familiar with identifying genders, you can check them before bringing them home.

These were the last 2 she had for sale and she’s sure they are both female even though I mentioned their bits don’t look the same I’m just gonna get a vet appointment and have them check both and find out the earliest I can neuter him and if she’s pregnant

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
How old is he? Is he the one that supposed to be 2 months?

If he is very young he will be much more skittish. So be careful when handling him because young pigs are quicker to dart or jump out of your hands. Pigs generally chill out as they get older. Just be patient.
Yeah he definitely takes both hands though I hold her with 2 hands too lol

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
These were the last 2 she had for sale and she’s sure they are both female even though I mentioned their bits don’t look the same I’m just gonna get a vet appointment and have them check both and find out the earliest I can neuter him and if she’s pregnant

Taking them to a vet is a good plan. Just make sure it is a proper exotics vet who treats guinea pigs because otherwise you will waste time and money when you require proper cavy specific services.

We didn't have an exotics vet at first, we took them to our trusted small animal vet who has treated our dogs and cats for almost 20 years, she said she treated guinea pigs as well. We found a proper exotics vet because the pigs required more than she could provide...one of those things was checking for pregnancy for two adopted pigs. So, now we have a trusted cavy savvy vet too.

Mixed up genders, poor living conditions and unhealthy animals is why I recommend people go to reputable rescues and shelters rather than pet stores or breeders. Pet stores and breeders are there to make money, while rescues and shelters see the overpopulation and care more about the animals. In the future please consider adopting rather than buying.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Taking them to a vet is a good plan. Just make sure it is a proper exotics vet who treats guinea pigs because otherwise you will waste time and money when you require proper cavy specific services.

We didn't have an exotics vet at first, we took them to our trusted small animal vet who has treated our dogs and cats for almost 20 years, she said she treated guinea pigs as well. We found a proper exotics vet because the pigs required more than she could provide...one of those things was checking for pregnancy for two adopted pigs. So, now we have a trusted cavy savvy vet too.

Mixed up genders, poor living conditions and unhealthy animals is why I recommend people go to reputable rescues and shelters rather than pet stores or breeders. Pet stores and breeders are there to make money, while rescues and shelters see the overpopulation and care more about the animals. In the future please consider adopting rather than buying.

Unless she was a breeder who got in over her head she wasn’t a breeder cause she had 24 guinea pigs for sale and I bought the last 2 of the group and with how cheap I got them it was more a rehoming fee than anything else

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she had 24 guinea pigs for sale, she was a breeder.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.