Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bedding

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
I am wondering if i can get some advice, I am looking for some bedding Hay ideally from pets at home, Wilko or any other brand. I need something which is good quality does not have any dust as don't want to use saw dust or wood shavings, Don't really want to use fleece and also need to know if lining the cage with newspaper is any good thanks in advance

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Newspaper stinks pretty quickly, the pigs' feet stay wet and it can lead to bumblefoot. Hay doesn't make a good bedding because it isn't absorbent. Is there some reason you don't want to use wood products?

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
doesn't like the wood

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Who doesn't? You or the pig?

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
and also he has issues with the dust as it makes him sneeze, been to vets and they said its the product and not respiratory issues

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
so looking for an item I can get from likes of pets at home, or any pet store, as don't like ordering online

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A lot of people use Carefresh and like it.

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
is it safe for guinea pigs know care fresh as I saw mixed reviews about it

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, all those people would have dead guinea pigs if it weren't safe.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I use Small Pet Select paper bedding, the brown (not the white) if you’re looking for an alternative to the carefresh brand. You can buy it at smallpetselect.com or amazon.com .

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If it were my choice I would try the Wilko paper bedding in the first link above. It looks a lot like the Carefresh which is soft on their feet and very absorbent. I have had some of the recycled bedding but it was rough and lumpy. I can’t imagine that would be fun to run around on.

I use fleece over washable incontinence pads and put smaller absorbent pads in the corners since mine backs up and goes in the corners. I have a large rabbit litter pan in one corner that I use for hay. I put Carefresh in the bottom of the litter pan and hay on the top. Most of the mess is in the pan and the cage stays pretty clean.

However, overnight I keep my guinea pig in a smaller cage and use the Carefresh over newspaper. Usually I sprinkle some hay on top from whatever wasn’t eaten the night before. Then I can roll the whole thing up and toss it out.

sebbyb1

Cavy Gazer
ok might try to care fresh just seen bad reviews but just worried if the guinea pig eat it will he get ill

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I don’t think they actually eat it, but sometimes they taste things to see what they are. For awhile I used shredded paper with the Carefresh, and I did see mine eat a shredded piece but nothing more than that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.