Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Just double checking

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Ok so I’ve looked at the list of veggies and fruits I can feed my guinea pigs but it says no canned food and no frozen does that include the like sugar free canned vegetables? And does that also include if I froze them myself? I just wanna be sure before I got getting any

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Canned vegetables are usually preserved in water or syrup. They also tend to be soft/mushy. Raw veggies are what guinea pigs need. It helps with their digestion.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Can I freeze fresh vegetables then?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Generally speaking no not really. When you freeze a vegetable it breaks down the cell walls which is what causes it to go mushy and lose a lot of its water content when defrosted, much like how cooking with heat breaks down cell walls.

Most guinea pigs reportedly won't touch a thawed frozen vegetable because of the texture change. However even if they would eat it I wouldn't feed it to them for the same reason I wouldn't feed cooked vegetables to them, they are evolved to digest fresh or dried plant matter only and I wouldn't want to risk digestive upset.

PennyLane94

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for the response

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think you could feed green peppers that were frozen. Most veggies like green beans, peas, carrots, etc., must be blanched in order to freeze and properly preserve them. So they are cooked in boiling water for about 2 minutes, then frozen. However, green peppers don’t need to be blanched. They are like fruit and can simply be cleaned, sliced, and frozen.

I feed frozen corn husks to my guinea pig. I get them in the grocery stores where they husk the fresh corn. I remove the outer green parts in case there is any pesticide or other residue. Then I wash and tear the husks in strips, lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Once frozen, I put them in freezer bags and take out what I need for a day or two. I have also frozen watermelon cubes which were a big hit. They stay soft enough that she can eat them frozen so it was a nice treat during the winter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.