Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Baby sow Lethal?

didibangi27

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!

My adult guinea pig gave birth to her first litter 2 weeks ago. She had 3 pups. However, there is one, a sow maybe, that looks kinda like she would be a lethal. She didn't drink much milk from the mom and has this strange behaviour where she latches to the mothers neck instead of nipple. I have tried several times to put them alone and have guide the little pup to find the nipple but it doesn't work. So even though she started to eat hay quite fast, I am giving her some pet milk. She has her teeth intact, she doesn't seem completely deaf but her reactions may be slower than the other pups while exposed to noises. She is definitely not blind and both her eyes look ok, for me at least. Also, she has a super big bald spot on her head. Bigger than I have ever seen. But she was born like this. Her hair was a little strange too. Very spare and kinda silvery super fine. The eyes might be a little smaller than her brothers' but not that much different. This is my first time having guinea pig pups. Also, because of the area where I live, finding a vet who would look at my pups has been very difficult. So really going to a vet is not possible at the moment until I find someone who would be willing to see them.

Here are some pics of my pups,

KakaoTalk_Photo_2019-07-12-11-32-51.jpgKakaoTalk_Photo_2019-07-12-11-33-04.jpg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2019-07-12-11-33-13.jpg

Sorry for the pics but for some reason I can't straight them. Any input will be greatly apreciated! Thanks!!!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would say she probably isn't a lethal white. She doesn't seem to have any of the classical signs, and it appears she has a line of pigment along the edge of her ears which would rule out her being a lethal as they will not have any pigmentation (along with possibly cream fur? unsure if that is her fur colour or if she is dirty).

That being said lethal is not the only possible health issue in a pup, so just because she isn't a lethal doesn't mean she is completely healthy either. When you mention her fur is silvery and fine make me think possibly satin which comes with it's own possible health issues (osteodystrophy), however if that was the case her fur will have a lot of shine to it if you shine a light on it.

On a side note, I hope you are aware that wire floors are not suitable for guinea pigs to walk on and can cause them to develop bumble foot.

I hope your little girl does well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She doesn't look lethal to me, at all.

However, when you say pet milk, do you mean Pet brand canned milk? If so, it's completely unsuitable for a guinea pig. The closest thing you can get to their milk is goat's milk. But if she's eating and can drink from the water bottle, she doesn't need the milk.

Please don't breed your pigs. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the breed going forever without one being deliberately bred.

Good luck to you with her, and let us know how she gets along.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You mentioned a bald spot on her head, is she a crested breed, like Penny in this picture? It looks like a small bald spot on the top of the head with the fur growing in a whorl around it.
f78dd05ad54b3f166794e74c7d1a9a4a.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The other pup is crested, so this one may be also. But the hair does look awfully thin on top.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.