Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What's a better layout for 5 sows - 14x2 (L-shaped) or 7x4 (rectangle)?

edikit

Cavy Slave
We currently have a 4x4 grid, which feels a bit too small for our ladies, especially after their litter tray and all of their hideys are added.

I was thinking of expanding it to a 7x4 grid, but admittedly a 4-grid width does make cleaning a bit more tricky, so I'm also thinking of doing a U-shaped or L-shaped setup that's only 2 grids wide. This would allow better access for me, but I've read that once your cage starts getting bigger, it's better to go wider than longer.

Is there be an optimal layout for a cage of this size? Thanks!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm also thinking of doing a U-shaped or L-shaped setup that's only 2 grids wide. This would allow better access for me, but I've read that once your cage starts getting bigger, it's better to go wider than longer.

A 2x anything cage quickly becomes too small. If I had the room I would certainly go wider than two grids. There are many configurations that you can make with three grids wide which is generally the max for easy cleaning. I'm picturing a U-shaped setup where the middle of the U is 2-3 grids wide with the "legs" of the U being 3-4. You could also do an L-shaped cage.

I admittedly have no experience with a very large cage, but there are lots of ideas in the photo gallery. I'm envious that you have so much room to work with. :cool:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.