Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Medicine dosages for UTI (Bene Bac)

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I’ve got a Guinea pig with a suspected uti, and our vet was super cool and gave us some baytril to get the bacteria out of her system. I asked the office about probiotics to reduce side effect risks, and the nurses said they would talk to the main vet, although they didn’t, but it was a busy day so I’m not surprised and/or holding a grudge. Plus, they said that they only have dog probiotics so that wouldn’t have helped anyways. So we’ve held out until today to get Bene bac to go along with her baytril and we’ve been waiting since Tuesday. Our Guinea pig is 1 1/2 years old and 2.3 pounds (1043 grams). I’m comfortable with giving her the vet mandated .5mls of baytril twice a day because she is a bit of a bigger pig, but I have NO CLUE how much Bene bac to give her. How much should be administered? Thank you so much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you get the knurled syringe of Bene-Bac, or a powder?

It's not an exact science. If there are directions for a kitten dose, I'd give about half that.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
We got the “Bene Bac Plus Pet Gel”. Thank you for your help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's that syringe, then just set it for one dose and give the whole thing.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
I’m thinking about giving her a pea size with a piece of lettuce. Does this sound good?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That syringe is designed to make it very easy to dose the pig. You just turn the small ring out to the dose you want, stick the syringe in the pig's mouth, and push. It's far easier than putting it on a piece of lettuce, which the pig can and may refuse. If you put it in the mouth, the pig has to eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.