Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Bedding concerns: Carefresh natural

Hi all. I currently have my guineapigs on Chipsi which is a wood shavings type of bedding. I have recently discovered that this kind of soft wood bedding is a health risk for their respiratory system and as such i am eager to change to a healthy bedding option ASAP.
    My local store only sells this and Carefresh natural. I have done a lot of research and hear a lot of good things about this paper bedding so i am keen to switch, however i very occasionally read that there is a risk of impaction if they eat too much of this bedding. I hear that it is often a popular choice of bedding and I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who might have experience with this paper bedding?

I cant seem to find information on this impaction risk other than it is a potential risk. Most information i can find about Carefresh is saying that it is a safe bedding option. Maybe im just a bit apprehensive, I just want them to me safe.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: Bedding concerns: Carefresh natural

Wood shavings don't necessarily pose a health risk--it depends on whether they smell strongly of pine. If they do, then yes, there's a danger both of respiratory illness and long-term liver involvement. But if they're kiln dried and have little or no odor, there shouldn't be a problem.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I used paper bedding (sometimes Carefresh) all the time before switching to fleece. My guinea pig never ate it. I don't think they like the taste, so you're probably fine.

5. "Thank you, LemonySnickers, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The carefresh is the bedding we use, have never observed them even trying to eat it.

7. "Thank you, rosspiggys, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

So im currently trying them with the carefresh. For the most part they dont seem phased by it except for when they go in their igloo. I see them digging around and sniffing through it, they then start to pick up peices with their mouth, wave it around for a moment and then seem to spit it back on the floor. Is this normal behavior or is that them trying to eat it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

The only way they really have to explore their environment is to sniff it or taste it. What you're seeing is perfectly normal behavior.

10. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moltoxy View Post
    So im currently trying them with the carefresh. For the most part they dont seem phased by it except for when they go in their igloo. I see them digging around and sniffing through it, they then start to pick up peices with their mouth, wave it around for a moment and then seem to spit it back on the floor. Is this normal behavior or is that them trying to eat it?
    Mine do that as well in there cubby, they make a more comfortable bed out of it. You will probably see a nest start to form after a bit. Mine seem to like to lower the center of the nest so they can rest their chin on the bedding.

Thanks
    Thanks
    78 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

They are making a pillow. I put pieces fleece about the size of placemats under the hideys and mine bunches them up for a pillow. I also use pot holders and those chenille dusting mitts that they sell for cars. I cut the loops off the potholders so she can’t get a foot caught, and I sew the opening shut on the dust mitt. I could just picture her in a panic with her head in the mitt.

User Tag List