Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Dominance or bullying? Do I need to separate?

akkoepfler

Cavy Gazer
Hello fellow piggie lovers,
I've had guineas my whole life and am just now seeing behavior that i'm a little worried about. I was just sold a pig with incurable upper respiratory and lost her to that infection so maybe I am being a bit of a helicopter parent?

Anyway, I have three girls.. Pepper, Gumbo, and marshmallow fluff (Fluff for short) and I got them in that order. Fluff has grown a ridiculous amount while my Gumbo is still quite small and they seem to get along the majority of the time. They purr and popcorn probably three to four times a day, it's extremely amusing to watch! Every once in a while though? Fluff likes to be a bully. I've noticed Fluff has been spraying and rumble-strutting. She will sometimes chase gumbo around the cage and nip her. Gumbo screeches loudly but never is hurt when I inspect her. All youtube videos and blog posts tell me that fluff is just asserting dominance but gumbo is so much smaller and so obviously the submissive out of my trio.
They have two water bottles, hides, food dishes and all of that. Their cage is of perfect size RIGHT NOW as they are just baby piggies.. they do have a two-story hutch coming in on wednesday though..
side note on gumbo also.. she is just naturally a very timid girl. She is quite loud. She doesn't like to be touch

If anyone has any suggestions on what this is and what I need to do, please reply. I might just be paranoid but it's better safe than sorry. My girls deserve all of the happiness. Thanks in advance! - the worrisome momma

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.