Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C which water bottle should i get?

• Thread starter harleyholyhonda
  • Start date

harleyholyhonda

Cavy Slave
open
i was recently given 6 adorable piggies(that the first owner could no longer take care of). and 3 different water bottles,they all leak. i was wondering if there was a water bottle that doesn't leak, or atleast only leaks a little. i would post pictures but i'm not sure how.

there is also some crumbs in the bottom of the bottle when i go to fill them back up, is that normal and how should i get them out effectively?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I personally like the Choco Nose H128 (10 mm) water bottle.

Leaking has not been an issue and I have 8 of them.

I will warn you, that when they are new you have to be careful that the balls inside don't get stuck which prevents the guinea pigs from getting water (that's the last thing you want!) so I usually give it a tap until bubbles go up each time I get fresh water. I also do this a few times a day (especially in the morning before work and at night before bed). But then I found this same issue with other water bottles as well.

So far, these are the bottles I like best after some trial and error.

I use pipe cleaners and bottle brush once a week to get the bottles clean. I rinse them (including nozzle) with hot water daily. Then fill with cold filtered water from the tap.

I also try to have 1 bottle per pig in different areas around the cage, so they have plenty of options.

Congratulations on the guinea pigs!

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Many water bottles leak and I find that it is the individual bottle, rather than any specific brand. I've tried a lot of different water bottles, but admittedly not the Choco Nose.

I use the inexpensive generic 16 oz. bottle from Petco. I take a bottle of water from home when I go to the pet store (reason to be revealed). Most Petco stores have an aquarium/fish area where there is a sink available. I tell the personnel there what I wish to do and get their approval.

I take the potential bottle to the sink, fill it with water, and see if it leaks. If so, go back and get another and test it. If it leaks, then no go. If it doesn't leak, then I buy it......sometimes two if I happen to find them. Try not to destroy the packaging while you are testing the bottles.

NOW........if they don't want me to test the bottle at their sink, I walk out to the parking lot, pull my bottle out of the car, and test it in the parking lot. If it doesn't leak........great! But, if it does, I march right back into the store and exchange it then and there. I simply refuse to take one home only to find that it leaks and I have to make a trip back to the store!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I am also a Choco Nose fan and after almost two years of usage, there is some slow leakage in one of the four bottles purchased. To clean weekly, I put in a handful of uncooked rice, fill 1/2 of the bottle with water, and shake vigorously. Do not pour the rice into the sink as eventually it may clog up the sink. Also, the vet suggested that on a monthly basis, clean the bottles with a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water. This must be rinsed very thoroughly to remove any bleach residuals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.