Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Red Urine

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hello. One of my guinea pigs is back at it again, this time with pee that resembles blood. We just cleaned the cage and noticed a bright pink spot on their white bedding, picked up the suspected Guinea pig, and found that there was red liquids where she pees out of. This sounds like blood, and she hasn’t eaten anything red such as watermelon in a while, do you know what this is? Thank you.

Also I have a picture

Attachments

FE8341EC-532B-483A-8A6D-8365426F2D5A.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs sows don't normally bleed when they're in heat, but every once in a while you run into one that does. If it doesn't occur again, or occurs in about two weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it continues past a day or so, then I'd get her in to an exotic vet.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much and we're trying to book an appointment with our vet now. Thank you so much!

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hello. We’ve made an appointment with our vet and they said that she had no stones, although they couldn’t do a urinalysis because of her small bladder. We’re trying to pick up some antibiotics today, and hopefully they give us a good medicine. Thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you continuing to see the red spots? If not, I wouldn't give her the antibiotic if she were mine. I'd wait to see if it happened again in about two weeks. If so, you've just got a sow that has a tiny amount of bleeding when in heat, and it's nothing to worry about.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
We’ve continued to see red spots in her urine and have a dosage of antibiotic. The vet asked us to give her .5ml of baytril every 12 hours. I’ve heard this is a lot, is that true? Thank you bpatters for your help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no way to know whether that's a lot without knowing what the strength of the Baytril is.

But was this an exotic vet? Because Bactrim, not Baytril, is usually the drug of choice for urinary problems.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Yes, they’re an exotic vet. How would we figure out he strength of the baytril?

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Also, should we give a probiotic with her antibiotic? I’m looking at Oxbow’s Natural Science Digestive Support supplement, do you think that would be good? Thank you.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hello. We’ve gotten our baytril and decided to hold out until Thursday so that we can get some Bene bac to supplement the good bacteria that she’s lost because of the baytril. I’m hoping that she’ll be okay until then. Thank you so much [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] for your immense help.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
I regret to say that Peaches has started to pee red / pink again. I’ll post a picture under this reply with the worst of it, but it’s mostly pink. We’re wondering if this is MAYBE an allergy to the bedding? We use Kaytee Clean and Cozy, and I’m wondering if it acts like litmus paper, where since pee is acidic, it turns red. Also, our vet said that their pee could differ in color a bit, but is that much really JUST a differation of color? Has anybody heard the same?

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
BD4E2378-3F12-4F72-B793-ABC8420B639A.jpgThis is the image

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We're roughly a month out from when you first reported this, which would be two heat cycles. My suspicion is that this is heat related. It's not enough blood to be dangerous, and if it goes away in a day or so, I'd pay close attention again in two weeks and see if it recurs then. In the meantime, if she shows any signs of a urinary infection (more bleeding, squeaking when peeing, not feeling well), then you could go back to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.